Lying Hens

ginger c.

Songster
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
Alabama
I'm wondering if this is normal (or if anyone else has this issue).

It looks like we have 5 pullets and 1 roo.
One of our pullets started laying last week. The other four haven't laid an egg yet.

Despite that... at least 1 hen has taken to singing the egg song. I get all eggcited, rush out to see who laid, and discover my EE LIED! She's just stading on an outdoor roost singing the egg song. Sometimes, the one that is currently laying is on the nest at the same time... so we figure the EE is egging her on.

But a couple of times, the one currently laying has also sung the song BEFORE she lays... yesterday she sang about an hour before the egg came. LOL.

This has lead me to believe I have LYING hens instead of laying hens.
hit.gif

Is this normal? Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks in advance,

GC's DH

The egg song is instinctive. In the wild they go off to lay while the flock continues to forage. After laying they call out "Hey where are you guys?"
The rest of the flock answers in kind.
They still do it even if they're standing next to each other.
Roosters separated from the flock will sometimes make the same sound.

They're not so much lying as getting a contact high from the one that is laying.
lol.png
Sort of like if they sing the egg song loud enough they'll suddenly lay an egg. My hen's form a chorus for a couple hours each morning. Even the one's that are moulting sing along.

LOVE the "hey, where are you guys?" call!
My daughter brings our Australorp in for sometimes up to an hour. The other girls will be far away and she just stands there and screams HEY WHERE ARE YOU GUYS!!

Back
Top Bottom