Lynx or Bobcat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ShadowRooster, Sep 10, 2010.

1. ShadowRooster

ShadowRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    claremont, NH
    OK, no dead anything right now, but we have a missing RIR roo, only five months old. Peaple have seen it, its twice the size of a house cat and a silver grey color. It seems to be there atleased once a week, sightings by all my family members. In daylight, morning most.

What it looks like: No-tailed silver grey HUGE cat. Seen pretty big paw prints leading into corn.
    Before I would let my emus kill it, or shoot it, but I do know they are protected. I live southern VT. What can I do? Trap it? Or.. will I not get in truble if my emus rip it up? Bobcat? Lynx?

Here kitttty kitty kitty... right into the emu pen... thats it!

2. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I'd say let the emus have at it!

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Even if it's protected, if it's in your emu pen--I'd say it's fair game to the emus! Lynx are larger, have larger ear tufts, etc.

We have both here although the bobcats are much more common. I haven't seen a lynx but I've seen four bobcats. I would guess they are 25+lbs (or roughly twice the size of an average house cat).

Bobcat:
    http://www.maxwaugh.com/nwtrek06/bobcat1.html

From what I understand, Lynx are about 3ft long and 35-40lbs.
    Lynx:
    http://www.shutterpoint.com/Photos-ViewPhoto.cfm?id=652833

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    http://www.rmrs.nau.edu/publications/Kolbeetal/Kolbeetal.pdf

I
    have built and used these with a great deal of success with bobcat. You need to check with your fish and game or DNR folks because maine is having a brouhaha about lynx the feds are over folks for catching them accidentally good luck be careful

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I live just across the river in NH, and bobcats are a protected species here. You should check their status by calling VT Fish and Game. God luck and sorry about your missing bird.

6. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    ARE YOU SAYING THAT EMUS WILL KILL AND EAT A BOBCAT?????? Are they brave or just crazy????? Don't they know that's a vicious predator????? How do they overpower it (claws and fangs and all) and don't they get hurt in the fight? This is the first time I've ever heard they could do it. Are they a threat to you when you get near them?

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Don't they know that's a vicious predator?????

Emus are vicious predators too
    They kill with their claws and feet​

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    For your emu's sake hope it's a bobcat-- a lynx would be a lot more trouble. Also, given the rarity of the lynx I doubt you have one that close.

9. wormy270

wormy270 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    If a large cat is getting my chickens, the cat would mysteriously disappear and I wouldnt know anything about it. If you know what I mean.

10. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    VT has defined seasons for trapping and hunting bobcat,

Jan 10 - Feb 7, 2010 for hunting

Dec 1 - Dec 16, 2010 for trapping

You need to check for license requirements and for the availability of permits to take out of season due to predation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by