mad or just disappointed? pic of chick pg 7

kikescove.com :

One reason to support a known breeder. Just like any puppy mill or hobbyist out to make a buck. Breeders work hard at culling, research, documenting, spending money etc to come up with the stock that they have. That is what makes quality stock expensive. Then you get someone that grabs the thrifty nickel, knocks a few bucks off an asking price and is an instant breeder. They don't know the particulars about shipping eggs either such as packaging, labelling(writing on the egg), cleaning(contaminating eggs),Freshness verus old, packaging which end up, etc. etc. off my soapbox...hope it works out for you.

Yes, and even worse is when they DON'T knock anything off the asking price. Instead they charge an arm and a leg and hope that people will see that they cost so much and so, of course, they must be really great birds!

(I don't mean you, OP.)

But it often happens, I think.

I have been in the world of purebred dogs for longer than I have had chickens, and you wouldn't believe the money that people give for mutts, when they could get an excellent, healthy pup from a breeder. I don't mean that I don't love mutts, too, but I expect to get one from the shelter, and if I want a showdog I go to a breeder I know.

I would assume that the same would be true for poultry.

Catherine​

Cathrin, Your post speaks of exactly what I have been thinking. As well as what I have been teaching my Daughter the last few months. I am not sure it really has as much to do with intended deception as it has to do with ignorance. First of all there are Breeders, and there are people with chickens. they are not even close to the same thing. I Have breed Dogs, Rabbits, Pigs, Fish, Exotic birds of several types and a lot of other critters. I have a well developed understanding of what all is meant when the word "Breeder" is mentioned. When I first started looking for Jungle Fowl, I did not realize how loosely the term Breeder was used in regard to Chickens and the like. I have since sen it common for anyone that happened to have an egg crack and a chick fall out of it considers themselves Breeders. Little to no regard to actual breeding is encouraged or expected as long as Chicks are "Cute" and information on how to contact reputable Breeders is nearly non existent. I sort of ran head first into trouble in my first week around here. I contacted someone that has Grey Junglefowl advertised in regard to Breeder quality birds. I received a reply that they had a couple pairs left over from last year. My reply back was actually probably very rude from their stand point but I quickly realized that this person had no idea at all what Breeder Quality birds where, never has and never will. They very likely have no idea of the extreme and costly process involved in producing Breeders. Luckily I have found a member here that does take "Breeding" seriously and had actually accomplished a lot of the work of obtaining a high quality and reputable trio ahead of me. In the month or so I have been searching I have only found 4 breeders I woudl even consider dealing with and that is still with reservations pending seeing the quality of their breeders. in a nut shell. learn to recognize a Breeder if you want to deal with Breeders. learn how that walk talk and act. And you will not have to worry about whether blue eggs are blue or if they are just muddy. a breeder would only have one place to put a muddy egg, and it certainly would not be up for sale. Honestly a real breeder would not even hatch a muddy egg for themselves. it is already considered a casualty amoung all the other casualties there program suffers.
There are those that go to all the time and expense to actually have quality breeding programs that then sell there pups, chicks, eggs or what ever for prices they are worth. the problem is that Joe Blow sees eggs being sold for $4 ea and thinks hey I have eggs like that to, never had any idea people would pay that much for them. and starts offering them for $4 ea. and even worse. others see that $4 price tag and think hey that must be a top quality egg and buy it. Want to buy quality, you must learn to recognize it. want to sell quality, it takes hard hard work and you must dodge all the many many pitfalls that are layed in front of you. if there is a cheaper easier way you would be a fool to take it and put your entire program at risk.

Igimom you know the truth. I use to raise and show Cockers and at that time pets would go for $ 200. At pet shops advertising rare colors(mismarks etc) they were getting like $ 389.99 for pet quality with health issues to boot. Or even rarer white boxers for twice that price, despite the fact that they are usually deaf.

Nowadays I see pet Cockers going for $ 400 and of course at petshops etc. people are spending as much as it would cost for show quality or even young champion males. What galls me the most is the "designer" breeds that have sprung up Labradoodles(even Tiger W. bought one), Golden Doodles, Pugles, Maltipoos, etc. etc which are nothing more than mongrels. I have nothing against mongrels, we have owned some. But alot of people consider shelter dogs as something "beneath" them, yet run to spend thousands to buy the designer pooches because they have better PR.

I'm not well versed in chicken-ry(tho large daily doses of BYC forum is getting me there) tho there are people with the" rare chickens "(pink skinned silkies, 6 toes what nots, ) making big bucks disappointing people. As with any other purchase, the buyer should do alot of research first., at least in terms of how to spot "sickly" chicks. etc. If you don't get what was ordered make a big "sqwawk" about it. Some ebay sellers, for instance can be very intimidating and you think it you give negative feedback, they will be out to get you. It's funny to see all the feedback from buyers that will give them a POSITIVE review while saying," the so and so was in poor condition or dead, BUT, the seller shipped fast." ACK, we all have to grow a backbone and stand up to them.

Hello everyone,

I decided to hatch the eggs. She sent the paperwork. Well, I set 7 and one hatched. He/she is so cute. I don't have the heart to get rid of it so I am going to let it grow up and see how it looks as it gets older. I don't know if anyone else will hatch but I will go ahead and give it two more days to see if something else peeps. All else ado lol there is the pic of the newest baby. Tell me what you think

13567_032300chick.jpg

When I first looked at it I thought it was a cocoon or something, and then my brain turned around and I could see it!

It is very cute. You need another baby to keep it company.

Catherine

i have 5 chicks from my own chickens that i hatched last week. When, tomorrow?, it seems like it can get along on its own (just hatched) i will put it with the other babies.

My hatch for these eggs is done. I through away the left over eggs not hatched. I had three chicks total.

13567_032500chicks.jpg

Back
Top Bottom