Made in China

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by seminolewind, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    How do you not buy things "Made in China?" I am tired of made in China. (no offense to Chinese here, this isn't about Chinese people,this is about US trade agreements.
    I go to stores and there doesn't seem to be any choice. I go out of my way to read tags and avoid made in China.
    A disturbing thing happened to me. I went to a shoe store in Yuma. I have shopped on line for shoes not made in China, and found several brands that weren't. So I remembered what they were. Well this shoe store carried these brands only they were "Made in China"!!!!! My first thought was they were fakes or cheaper grade shoes made by these manufacturers. Most were $70-$100 shoes, and in this store they were $30, and didn't appear to be as well made.
    Does anyone else here try to buy not made in China? Can we share tips?

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yep, we'll buy a more expensive item to avoid made in China stuff. I don't have anything against the Chinese either, but I've had so many failures lately and a blow out on the trailer from items made in China that I'm just nervous.

3. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    at least we still have these:

[​IMG]

You know that The U.S. has "lost it" when we have to have eggs imported from China, when our girls get old enough to lay eggs and when we sell them we'll have on the carton THE CHICKENS AND EGGS ARE MADE IN THE USA!
    Its sad how many things are made in china, we even have PLASTIC made there now. no offense to china.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife buys almost all her clothes and shoes, purses etc. when we visit China. She has a hard time finding the size here to fit her and she doesn't care for the fashion, people here can't believe how beautiful her clothes are and they are very affordable. I buy what ever I like no matter were it comes from.

5. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    Stay away from WalMart!!!
    Read labels and packages.
    Check out the Green Pages online - they have resources for American-made products, as well as organic and fair trade. Many things are kinda spendy, so sort out your needs from your wants.

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I wish I could say what I think about Walmart but it would be breaking a rule so... I try to buy some things made in the US but its really hard to find them at all.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I try to buy US made whenever possible.
    I don't have kids, but the lead in the toys really made me think. OF course, there is probably no way to NEVER buy from China, but I think reading a label and making choices that won't hurt your wallet extremely are the best way to send a message.

8. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I try my best to NOT buy "made in China". Sometimes it just can't be helped.

Try buying a ladle or stirring spoon for cooking. The whole rack no matter what the brand "made in China" stamped on it.

9. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I always think of a sweat shop orphans when I see "made in China" etc. Some poor little kid made that dollys hair for a bowl of rice!

10. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Here is a list of products, "NOT Made in China."

http://www.boycottmadeinchina.org/en/boycott_hub/alternative_shopping/

I'm not for or against buying American for patriotic reasons. My reasons are more personal: last year two of my elderly cats died from eating pet food tainted with Chinese ingredients. What was supposed to be rice protein was actually wheat protein impregnated with melamine. It was bio-terrorism, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by