Silver Laced Wyandottes

• Total voters
Pics
Apr 25, 2021
Some of y'all convinced me to start Silver Laced Wyandotte thread, so here goes! Come support and join me!

Silver Laced Wyandotte (SLW) chickens are the parents of all the Wyandotte chicken kind. All other patterns and colors of the Wyandottes that we are familiar with today all originated from the Silver Laced. Wonderful Layers, Lays Light Tan Large sized egg, very sweet, mellow tempered bird, Very Broody, Great Mothers. They have Pea Combs. Most common varieties of the Wyandotte are the Silver Laced, Golden Laced, Blue Laced Red & Columbian. Though there are many other varieties.
This thread is going to be based on the Silver Laced Wyandotte. These birds are regal and majestic birds. Truly wonderful!

This thread is for fellow BYC SLW lovers and admires! Share your info, and please do not hesitate to ask any questions! Let us know about you're flock!

I'll start- I own 1 SLW rooster- Romeo (Whom is pictured in my profile picture!❤️🐓) he is incredibly sweet and docile. He's 1.5 y.o.
I also have 6 SLW hens. (All 5 week old chicks)

Please attempt to remain on subject- Silver Laced Wyandottes. Thank you!

*Note: The pictures down below are not mine. I got them off Google. ;)
1631831182374.png
1631831193451.png
1631831213269.png

I guess they're ok... I have one. Her name is Penny, and she's the second SLW I've ever owned. She takes wonderful pictures. My camera really agrees with her. There's certain picture tones that I can only capture with her. Here's some pictures of her from last winter:

I do have a problem with my Penny. She's not my nicest bird. She's a bit mean to my other birds and she's even had to spend some jail time for this... See Penny's in Jail. She's a little better now, but still a little mean at times... But I do wonder this:
When I got my flock of six, I got six different breeds of pullets. There was others of the same breed at the place I got my hens, but I wanted a huge variety. Well, I've wondered if the reason why Penny was so mean is because she was missing the other pullets of her same breed. In the first month or so of having her, she was in some type of depression. Then after that, she went mean to almost bully status. I ended up putting her in jail for her meanness, and she now seems a little better.

IMO, SLWs are the most beautiful of all hens (rivaled only by Dark Brahmas), but they are not necessarily the best suited to my climate here in the Steamy Southeast. I think that my only one, Popcorn, is not a good representative of her breed because she seems to be undersized, the second-smallest adult in my flock with only the California White smaller, and lays medium eggs that frequently have heavy calcium deposits.

When she has been culled I'll be willing to try another 1-2, perhaps from a different source.

Yeah I don't have any SLWs. I only have two blue laced red wyandottes and a blue laced red wyandotte bantam. The SLWs look very pretty though! I do have a few double silver laced barnevelders but those aren't even close to the same thing. And a couple silver laced polish! ;) :D
I want blue laced! (sorry, off topic)

SLW are gorgeous big birds and Baby Boo is my top layer at the moment. She was raised under a broody and handled from hatch, but is a very wary bird. Skittish and flightly; her brothers were lovely and came up for cuddles, but she has never been keen. We only keep a small flock and the rest of her hatchmates - 1 other girl and 5 boys, have gone on to different homes, so not sure if it's just her attitude; I don't remember her sister being as bad, but she was the most likely pullet, so we kept her.

Anybody else have a flighty SLW hen?

IMG_20210916_101742.jpg

SLW are gorgeous big birds and Baby Boo is my top layer at the moment. She was raised under a broody and handled from hatch, but is a very wary bird. Skittish and flightly; her brothers were lovely and came up for cuddles, but she has never been keen. We only keep a small flock and the rest of her hatchmates - 1 other girl and 5 boys, have gone on to different homes, so not sure if it's just her attitude; I don't remember her sister being as bad, but she was the most likely pullet, so we kept her.

Anybody else have a flighty SLW hen?

View attachment 2835866
My Blue laced red wyandottes are very skittish. ;)

When I was younger I only had rir’s, barred rocks and white leghorns. I legitimately thought those were the only chicken breeds.
I decided to start writing a book. I googled “cool chickens” and a SLW came up. I thought it was one of those photoshopped ones. Anyways she became the main character of my (never been finished) story! I thought it was SUCH a cool chicken.
Honestly, now I still think they are cool. But I love my blue laced reds.

Back
Top Bottom