Magnificent Marvelous Muscovies!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Claires Poultry, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Muscovy-palooza

Muscovy-palooza Songster

Oct 17, 2018
    East Tennessee
    Wow, your muscovy are really beautiful. And that Holley is especially handsome.

2. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
  3. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Special, wonderful, great, and almost perfect, but sometimes mischievous! :gig

4. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    If mule ducks count, then heres my 1 month old baby, oreo.

This is not an updated picture of her though. She has a good portion of her feathers now. 20190510_141700.jpg

5. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Hmm. I wonder what happened. If they started sitting in late March or even early April they should definitely be hatched by now! They only take 33-37 days to hatch (approx. 5 weeks).
    I do think they might sit on a nest that isn't viable, though. I've had other broody hens do that.

I'm thinking maybe if they aren't going to hatch you should try to catch the hens and keep them off their nest so they don't keep sitting on eggs that won't hatch.

It sounds like your hens are getting off their nest and eating daily, that's good at least, but it still is a heavy strain on them being broody. They get skinny from not eating as much as they normally would.

Broody hens have actually been known to starve themselves to death while they are sitting on eggs because they are so devoted.

My Muscovy hens sometimes won't get off their nest for up to 5 days and I have to take them off so they don't starve themselves to death.

6. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Adorable duckling! :)

7. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    She stole a chicken's nesting box XD

Claires Poultry likes this.
  8. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    The eggs are from all my different Muscovy hens.

That's to bad you're not getting eggs! :hit
    Sorry about that! :(

What you do have to remember, though, is that Muscovies aren't really bred for egg production so they don't lay many more eggs than they are planning on sitting on.

Supposedly Khaki Campbell ducks are good ducks for egg-laying. I am going to do an experiment and see if they will be good egg layers for me where I live. But you never know, they might not do as well for me as for somebody who lives in a different climate.

Might try raising some for eggs. Just a suggestion seems how you can't get any eggs out of your Muscovy ducks.

Blessings! :)

9. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    Beautiful Muscovies! I really like the silver-barred one! :)

10. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Beach, ND
    I most certainly agree with you! Muscovies ARE the best ducks ever and they are sooooo cute and adorable!!! :)

the cluck juggler likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: