Pics
Vet neighbor so hopefully he can advise me on proper treatment but would appreciate any experienced Muscovy
Owners input! THANK YOU!
If that is an option go now, don't wait, all animals get flystrike so your neighbor will know how to treat this.

Maggots will eat through healthy tissue (they produce toxins that make it unhealthy) in one or two days, right to the bone. I've seen it in dogs, cats, birds, and sheep. AWFUL!
Maggots will invade injured/ wet/ dirty skin or tissue, and eat right to the bone, while producing nasty toxins and causing death. One day for the fly eggs to hatch, and maybe two days to death/ disaster. Awful! Mary

I use a huge towel to wrap mine like a burrito if I need to do something with them keeps their wings contained. But cat thing would probably work too. How bad is the wound? you only want to use peroxide once only it is hard on healthy skin . Use can try a salt water bath that would probably bring the maggots out of the wound just keep pouring the salt water over the wound it will also help with healing. Epsom salt would be good.

@casportpony is knowledgeable about treating wounds with maggots.
Oh great idea!!!! Thank you Lydia!!! I NOW have him in my utility room! I herded him. Again baby steps. He’s just now calming down. He stinks. My new neighbor/vet is going to research some antibiotics (stink means prob needs rx) and see what we can do. I AGAIN tried to grab him and he “flapped” me and somehow in all that chaos I took a hit in the face w some dripping/dropping of a dark liquid substance. Nice. Thanks dude. Not giving up. He and I BOTH need those maggots gone! Especially since he inside currently. I see a burrito happening! Thank you!

I use a huge towel to wrap mine like a burrito if I need to do something with them keeps their wings contained. But cat thing would probably work too. How bad is the wound? you only want to use peroxide once only it is hard on healthy skin . Use can try a salt water bath that would probably bring the maggots out of the wound just keep pouring the salt water over the wound it will also help with healing. Epsom salt would be good.

@casportpony is knowledgeable about treating wounds with maggots.
x2 :thumbsup

Scovy newbie here! We have 6 "babies" that are 4 & 5 wks old. I think we have 3 drakes and 3 hens but not totally sure on the 2 younger ones yet but think they are male and female. I know it's still too soon to tell but just curious what you all think. These are my thoughts: top to bottom - female(barred chocolate), male (white w/blk spots), male (smaller dark chocolate), male(white far right), female(chocolate) and female(smaller

Attachments

• 20190802_150034.jpg
    20190802_150034.jpg
    754.6 KB · Views: 9
Scovy newbie here! We have 6 "babies" that are 4 & 5 wks old. I think we have 3 drakes and 3 hens but not totally sure on the 2 younger ones yet but think they are male and female. I know it's still too soon to tell but just curious what you all think. These are my thoughts: top to bottom - female(barred chocolate), male (white w/blk spots), male (smaller dark chocolate), male(white far right), female(chocolate) and female(smaller
:welcome We're so glad to have you here with us! Welcome to the Magnificent Marvelous Muscovies thread! :)
Your ducklings are so adorable! :love
I think the one on the right side is definitely a male and maybe the one next to it, too.
I think the middle one might be black pied.
@learycow is pretty good at figuring out the different colors.

Oh great idea!!!! Thank you Lydia!!! I NOW have him in my utility room! I herded him. Again baby steps. He’s just now calming down. He stinks. My new neighbor/vet is going to research some antibiotics (stink means prob needs rx) and see what we can do. I AGAIN tried to grab him and he “flapped” me and somehow in all that chaos I took a hit in the face w some dripping/dropping of a dark liquid substance. Nice. Thanks dude. Not giving up. He and I BOTH need those maggots gone! Especially since he inside currently. I see a burrito happening! Thank you!

Great that you caught him, and so fast! The towel trick works wonders, tried it myself on some big roo's, and they calmed down in an instant. Nice to have a vet-neighbor, your drake is in good hands. :thumbsup

They're beautiful, and such diversity! :D The white one to the right is definitely a male, those are some big feet! The one in the far back must be a girl, petite and slim.

Please keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom