Magpie call duck breeders?

So, when I refer to my calls coloration, I should call them Anaconas? When you say that anaconas are larger and magpies smaller, does that also refer to the call duck breed?

Mine seem to have the magpie coloration on the body, but the anacona coloration/splotching on the head...

To get the color in calls, are they ever outcrossed with a larger breed?

Anacona is actually a term Holderread came up with to sell really off colored magpies....genius idea really. The anacona's are white with spots of black or blue on them, my son raises magpie call ducks and gets alot of off colored birds....there is no doubt in my mind that the magpie call duck is the hardest call duck to get right color wise and nearly impossible to get with good type. He does have some really nice magpie calls, but it has taken him 6 years to get them there..and he still struggles to raise 2 or 3 show quality magpie call ducklings a year.

Jerry

Quote:
Really??? That is genius if it's true but... really? I thought they had other differences, breed wise, including their breed heritage... And if that's the case, then what will happen to all his off-color magpies now that he no longer sells anconas? I'm confused!

Yes, please explain into further detail. Really curious.
smile.png

As far as breeds go Ancona and Magpie are two seperate breeds, both heritage breeds, both endangered breeds. Anconas are only slightly larger and have a very kind nature without any dominance issues. Anconas are one of the best egg layers. Magpies are pretty good to from what I hear.

As far as color, I'm not sure about the whole Holderead's thing, very well may be true. I love Anconas though, they are my favorite! i think that it should become a standard color for calls. However you need five breeders of a standard color and so many show points in the standard of color to qualify. Anconas would be easy to breed for. The confirmation coming from white calls and the color is of course white with spots of any color including tris. There needs to be evident broken areas and the beak and legs are welcome to spotting as well.

Alicia, if you decide to ever try to make it a standard color I would love to try and help!

I would have NO idea where to start if I wanted to try and make it a standard color.. I dont show my birds, they are just pets.. but id like to get better quality in the mix..

If you wanted better quality I would get whites that have magpie backgrounds. Faith Valley waterfowl has some males.

Back
Top Bottom