1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Magpie duck colors

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HerdingDucks, Apr 3, 2012.

1. HerdingDucks

HerdingDucks New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    Hello duck experts! I've been lurking and reading for some time, but this is my first post. I have a question about magpie color inheritance. If you breed a black/white magpie drake to a blue/white magpie hen, what color are the babies likely to be? How about if you breed the same black/white drake to a black/white hen? Thanks for reading, hope to hear some of your experiences!

2. knightie

knightie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Wow, no one commented on this at all? Well black and blue should work just like chickens black and blue get you blue black and splash and black to black (if the black is pure will give you black but if its not you could get blacks and blues)

3. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    HerdingDucks, I am just going to warn you (although you might already know this) that if you are planning on breeding magpies, breeding them with true coloring is a difficult task.

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Black and black gives all black.
    Black and blue gives half black half blue.
    Blue and blue gives blue, black, and splash

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by