Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Sleeping on the side with one leg out looking like a "not live" chick is pretty normal. It has scared me a few times and every time I make one wake up because I am sure it is gone, I always think of Shirley McLaine in Terms of Endearment when she pinches the sleeping baby because she is sure the baby is dead.
wink.png

Well I have 19 out of 24 that hatched so far with one zipping and one pipped still. I am not home but that's what hubby said. I have been in the Pediatric floor of the hospital all weekend with my 9 year old who was accidently shot with a bb gun. It went through his abdomen, then through the stomach and intestine. He had to have surgery around midnight Fri and he is recovering now and doing good. What a weekend!! Should be here a few more days. My poor boy!
hit.gif

Ok, caught up. So now I can update you rather than panic and ask questions.

First and foremost, I decree KathyinMo should not be allowed to enter cute related contests. How can anyone compete with her amazingly adorable Emu's. And the egg art??? Wow. And now this chick in the egg...There must be a cuteness fairy that blesses Kathy with utter cuteness. I set the chick in the egg as my background because just looking at it makes me smile.

Now...on to my hatch.

I have 3 EE, 1 blue polish, 1 silver laced polish and 1 unknown polish from Bhep.
3 mystery eggs from CrazyPetLady
2 Light Brahmas from Gabbard Farms.

I pulled some shells out and added water to the LG and candled some eggs. 2 Seramas quit about Day 15, didn't candle any others but I'm prety sure they are gone. Nothing from any quail. Looks like my silver spangled hamburg is dead, but one of the local eggs chriped at me. So the bator is closed, humidity is back up. (LG's are the worst for humidity!)

STILL NOTHING from the hovabator (with the insane heat spikes) however, its channels were dry and I decided to candle and first egg I grabbed had an internal pip and I saw the beak in the air sac. So its closed and waiting too.

Good luck everyone, don't give up hope yet.

First and foremost, I decree KathyinMo should not be allowed to enter cute related contests. How can anyone compete with her amazingly adorable Emu's. And the egg art??? Wow. And now this chick in the egg...There must be a cuteness fairy that blesses Kathy with utter cuteness. I set the chick in the egg as my background because just looking at it makes me smile.

Thank you!
I have accepted one prize, and if I win anything else, I will defer the prize to another.

Well I have 19 out of 24 that hatched so far with one zipping and one pipped still. I am not home but that's what hubby said. I have been in the Pediatric floor of the hospital all weekend with my 9 year old who was accidently shot with a bb gun. It went through his abdomen, then through the stomach and intestine. He had to have surgery around midnight Fri and he is recovering now and doing good. What a weekend!! Should be here a few more days. My poor boy!
hit.gif
Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he gets better quick :)

Ok, is it normal for chicks to sleep on their side? Cuz the 3 I pulled from the bator seemed unusually exhausted but I just chalked it up to hatching exhuastion. But one hatched last night and its still seems really tired. All 3 seem to sleep on their sides. There is food and water in the brooder. I thought one was dead cuz it was on its side and its legs kinda stretched out. But when I touched it it jumped up and started screaming at me. The heat is a little over 95 because the temps fluctuate alot in my basement. But brooder is huge so they can easily get away from the heat. So..please calm my nerves and tell me that they are fine.
Very normal. Chicks sleep on their bellies, on their backs, legs in the air, legs out to the side, standing up, sitting down, anyway you can think of a chick will try and sleep that way :)

hit.gif

OH my gosh! I am soooo sorry! Hope he has a quick and uneventful recovery!
hugs.gif

Well, I suspect I am through with a less than stellar hatch. After my Friday and very early Saturday pip/hatches, I only had one more pip yesterday and it hatched this morning and is still drying out in the hatcher. The 5 Silkie eggs that I pulled out of the incubator Tuesday and put under my Silkie broody ALL hatched so I'm very happy about that as they were shipped eggs. Of the 27 remaining eggs in lockdown I have 10 that hatched. 7 of those were from my own eggs and 3 were shipped eggs (Light Brahmas). This is the worst hatch rate I've had this year!
sad.png
Of my two other broodies, one hatched 6 of 7 and the other hatched 4 of 7. Go Broodies! I'm glad I put some of my shipped eggs under them because at least a couple of each breed hatched.

Abysmal. . . Out of the 22 shipped eggs that made it to lockdown, 3 chicks. . . 1 splash wyandotte and 2 gorgeous showgirls (for those of us that find great beauty in the extremely odd). The 3 local eggs that I threw in for a friend all hatched too, so 6. What the?
hu.gif
The shipped eggs that hatched had the most incredible air cells. If I traced them with a pencil, they would look like a very serious roller coaster ride. On the upside, 6 hatched eggs have left me with a very clean (at least unsmelly) incky and I've given myself full permission to keep the entire hatch (of course). I'm going to let the hatch continue as nothing stinks and the temp and r/h are still great but, that sinking feeling in my stomach tells me this is going to be it for my contribution to the Great Easter Hatch-A-Long. I'll report my final numbers when I really come to grips with it being totally over. Congrats to all that had good/great hatches and/or won or will win a nice prize in the contests. For me, grim. Just grim
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom