1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mail box got run over last night..

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Yetti, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

...I bet they have a hell of a dent!
    mine was mounted on a well casing about 50" in the ground. they hit it hard enough they broke the pipe below ground level

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Yep, they will have a major dent on their bumper.

That sounds like a drunk driver to hit your mail box and keep driving.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Yep, probably a drunk driver who doesn't remember what he hit.

4. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Kids here make a game of hittiing them with baseball bats as they drive by.

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Good thing you were not out there gettin the mail. [​IMG]

6. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]Whacking mailboxes with baseball bats is a regional sport here. It's the same ol' same ol' - --- kids with nothing better to do, driving around late at night looking for trouble.

Though I once accidentally "offed" someone's mailbox. One of my schoolmates let me ride her pony one day, and as I rode by one of her neighbor's mailboxes the pony bolted and she brushed against the box and her tail got snagged on the post. She took off with me --- and the mailbox dragging from her tail down the road. Of course the box dragging from her tail and the noise it made made her panic more.

I was bareback so all I could do is wrap my legs around her and try to rein her in. I can't remember how I finally stopped her. But I unsnagged her tail, walked her back carrying the mailbox and post, and stuck it back in the ground where it got pulled out. It was suprisingly only slightly scratched, so I kind of tiptoed away and until BYC it has been my evil secret for more than 40 years.

7. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    Purposely smashing mailboxes is a federal offense. My brother is a brickmason, and had a really pretty one on the side of the road that the kids that were just bored and looking for trouble kept smashing with a ball bat. He cemented a 5in metal pipe in the ground, and filled the pipe with cement also. Then he proceeded to build his pretty mailbox just like he always did. It was hit only one more time,and it didn't come down, then it was never bothered again.

8. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Glenmar, I can't recall at the moment...was it you that that happened to a while back? I recall what a scary situation that was!

Yetti, that's crazy. Big dent, oh, yeah!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    The people a few blocks over had there mail box blown up. Even had the bomb squad out. Mine was smashed a couple of years ago with a baseball bat.
    I guess the kids around here are really bored.............

10. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That is really scary. It's more than being bored, and I hope those "kids" get caught and dealt with before they escalate to something even more destructively violent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by