Mail Order Egg Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by enggass, Dec 14, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Just a curious newbie here...
    When egg sellers say 6+ or 12+, about how many extras do they send to cover possible breakage?
    Also, is there a way to tell if an egg is fertile before attempting a hatch; besides cracking it open and looking for the bullseye in the yolk? They cannot be candled for fertility I am assuming...

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

6+ means you will get 6 but if 2 or 3 extras are siting there at packing time you will get them to. Some people always send extras but I wouldn't expect them every time.

Nope, no way to tell without breaking the egg or incubating first.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    12+ means you get 14-17 eggs. I usually, just about always, actually, get 16 eggs.

There is no way to check for fertility without patience or sacrifice though.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Last time I bought 6+ I received 9. When I bought 12 + I received 22. Depends on the seller and what they have and what the demand for the eggs is.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Most of the time when I buy 6+ there is 9. When I bought 12+ there was...12. It all depends on the seller. Some don't mind giving away a few extras to cover damage or non fertile eggs. Some will not give up an extra to save their life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by