Maine

I'm here in the Western Foothills, some folks have heated coops, yet I do not heat my coops. The added light in my coop is florescent. I do not heat our coops for the simple fact that we seem to lose our power frequently and if they are accustomed to even a little heat and then they will not have the feather coat that they need for winter protection. A matter of my opinion, we do have small cracks that help ventilate without allowing a wind/breeze.
I so agree with the deep litter method, it helps to generate its own "composting" heat that helps the gals. I swear by heated waterers though, could not handle winter without them!!! (I don't need to get out in the coop as quickly in the early morning!)

Take care!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. Funny enough, it does snow in the Reno area. Last winter we got a whole 4ft in one storm. It was still gone in a couple of days and you had no idea that it ever snowed. But it does snow here from about October through March/April, we usually get the worst dumps of snow around Thanksgiving and Easter. Reno is only 30 miles away from Lake Tahoe, and it gets Maine type snow up there. The place is a lot like Sugarloaf Mtn. only it is on a lake and has summer and winter appeal. (We are right on the border of Northern California. *shudder*) I have only been there three or four times and it was to pick up something and leaving almost as quickly as I got there. hehe But you have to go through Donner's Pass to get there if that gives you any idea what kind of freak weather we get out here. 120 degrees one minute and -10 degrees the next.

When we were growing up our chicken coop did not have any electricity run to it in any form but what we did was something similar to the deep litter but we would go from cleaning every 2 weeks to once every other month. And yeah that build up of the hay and other stuff decomposing does put off a good amount of heat and having 50 to 75 birds in there huddled together on their roosts puts off some good heat too.
big_smile.png

Quote:
That is really neat! You drive right past where I used to live. I used to live on the Swan Rd, which is right off the RR 2 right after the Mercer border. We used to drive into Farmington to get our chicken feed because New Sharon at the time did not have a feed store operating. We always went to Truevalue Hardware there. There used to be a Health Food Co-op in Fairfield where we did a lot of grocery shopping. My parents were very much into Macrobioc diets back in the mid-80's as were a lot of others up there so we bought all of our grains, oils, syrups, sweetners, etc. from the co-op. Great to meet someone near my old hometown, and who knows where it is. hehe

Quote:
I went to UMF myself, what years were you there? I was there from 86 to 92, I took classes there during high school and then since I graduated so early my parents would not let me go to school out of state or area so UMF was my alternate choice for college. I was also a DJ at WKTJ for several years too. I had to pay for college somehow so I got a job working at WKTJ in Farmington and then DJ'd at WUMF for a couple of years as well but I had to give it up if I wanted to keep my job at WKTJ. They were not too keen on one of their DJ's working for a competitive station. *LOL*

Ok well I am off to bed for the night, you all take care!

Greetings folks, I've received a phone call from a gentleman that is looking for pullets that just started laying or not quite begun. He is in McFall's so within 50 miles would be super for him (I assume), if you have what he is looking for, let me know and I'll swap info with you. These do not need to be any particular breed.

Also, if you are looking for quality birds or have some SQ birds, check out the link with my name, its the Northern New England Bird Fanciers Ass't. We are always looking for new members! Thanks guys.

I do not have any point of lay pullets, but I am curious about the going rate for such. For how much does one sell POL pullets in Maine? Does the price vary by season?

I ask because I have from time to time considered buying a few dozen chicks and raising them to POL for sale. I wouldn't expect to get rich (or I would have done it by now along with tons of other people) but I wonder whether there is room for profit.

With the cost of grain, I wonder if you could make anything. There was a family that brought Buff Orpingtons to the Chickenstock in Lewiston this past fall and sold (and don't quote me) I believe 8 or 10 26 week old pullets and that price was $130. So, maybe its a bonus if your raising chicks for SQ (show quality) and not sure which one is going to work out the best, then you will need to raise them up and getting some money for the excess is much better then culling.
Did that make sense?
Good to see you around TimG, we are having our Chickenstocks in Lewiston now because they don't require us to have insurance! Yippie.

In the spring when usually selling first of the spring, 10 week + have been $5 a bird.

Please, chirp in, I'm curious now. Oh, and watch your grain bags, I first got home with horse feed instead of crumbles(layena), went back, got home with a bag that the DUCT TAPE let go on! I have crumbles in my SUV, where I had some health issues with my chicks, I do not and will not take a chance with opened bags.
I did not blow up, but went back again, explained, got a new bag, dumped the old bag out and all is great. The feed store did not give me a hard time, I did not feel like they were blowing me off, they have had 2 bags , a bag of thistle in one womans car and mine that apparently came from the warehouse like that. So just watch your bags or go to Tractor Supply Co and choose your own bags!
You all have a super day!

Hi,
Are there people north of Augusta? I'm in Argyle, (just north of Old Town), and I'm seeing all the activities are happening well south of me.

Oh, and we use our greenhouse design for the chicken coops. They do fine in the winter (in the summer we put a tarp over the plastic, so we don't have roasted chicken before it's time)

Quote:
Welcome to BYC! There are events in Augusta, not sure about above. As for Old town...eeek, no idea. Hopefully someone will chime in.

I do have another man that is looking for 20 layers at this point. If anyone here has any, then please contact me.

Being on the coast RHB, it must be easier with greenhouse aka hoop house designs- please correct me, I've looked at the design, but always felt that it would be tough holding up any snow in some of the storms we do have or can have. I realize you must shovel it off, but some of the "un-collapsible" metal buildings have gone down (not in Maine, but still).

Are you familiar with Central Maine Bird Fanciers ? They are in Washington, ME.

I'll have to ask hubby what he used to make the hoop part of the coops. The sides are pallets...I've got some pictures, and they have held up for a couple of years, and we don't move the snow (most of it falls off)

Thanks for the information, I'll check out the other group.

Quote:
I saw events happening in houlton at the grange last yr. they were advertised in uncle henry's under what's happening. so not sure if that would be closer to you or if they will have them this yr or not. seemed like once/month they had them.
spook
I get alot more my fancy wyandottes as day olds, so it might depend on the breed but even $5 seems low for 10+ weeks.
at the swaps, I was seeing $12-15 for point of lay or new layers just random breeds. in the fall, the price drops because those new into chickens don't want to deal with winter and would rather wait until spring.
there will be a poulty show at it is every yr at the windsor fair grounds may 29th (sunday), they have a swap as well and there is a fee to sell.
generally lots of really good quality stuff.

Any duck breeders in Maine with ducklings come spring?

I'm starting a small backyard flock in the midcoast (slug control, nitrogen production, and meat, in about that order), and before I press Send on my order for 15 Anconas, I want to at last give shopping local a chance. Lots of mutt ducks around via CL and UH, but I want something a little more self-sustaining.

Back
Top Bottom