Maine

Hi,
We get our grain up in your neck of the woods.

Are your birds show birds? I have no experience with quail or pheasents.

Greetings guys, welcome to our little thread of madness! Also, for you folks up the midcoast area, I bet Blueseal could give you an address for a great club, or if you want to check them out, you can go to the link by my name then go to links to other clubs, you will find some interesting items.

You all take care, stay safe and warm!

Newbie in Maine here. Newbie to BYC, but grew up with chickens. My assorted hand-me-downs aren't the healthiest bunch. Hoping to make it through the rest of the winter, hatch a few and get my flock in better order in the spring. If we ever get a spring.

Welcome Coldweatherbirds, curious at where your from and general area where you are- its the internet, general area is fine.

Question: Why did you begin owning poultry? What would be "your" goal in the next year with your birds?

Spring...last week it was so nice at times that we had one little patch of mud...so I played in it! Denial was nice
tongue.gif
I keep demanding that winter cancels, but doggon it, those skiers and snowmobile people keep praying for it! (ha ha)

We have already started our hatching of the Mille Fleur D'uccle's, and they are the sweetest things. Trying to bring in a line that is "mine" if you know what I mean. Winter is tough on our birds, I use Layena by Purina and each morning I put in a bowl, grain and hot water for breakfast. It helps to get their days allotment of water & feed so to keep them laying. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

Do any of you remove spurs from your roosters? My little Scooter has had his removed before and after his look of shock I wondered if you folks de-spured. And, as a reminder, I still have that beautiful Black Standard Cochin, from a club members show stock and right up front, he has vulture hock. I just keep putting it out there, he is a sweet guy, but we brought him home thinking he was a she- need I say more.
Up until recently they lived in bachelorhood and I put one back with the layers and this black handsome guy with new hens and now they fight! Not good as they are both 11 lbs. But you know, Cochins are the sweetest birds, even roosters!

We started with chickens because it's the fastest way to get our little homestead producing. My goal this year, is for me to eat the birds, and not the local fox.

Quote:
Been there done that. I had a mangy fox last summer who wiped out almost everything I had. One night he got 20 chickens and 5 ducks. The fox is long gone now though so I am starting to rebuild the flock. Although with what happened a few weeks ago that might not be a good idea.
One afternoon I went out to feed the ducks. Their pen is about two feet away from my basement door. One of my Muscovies had gotten out and managed to get a wing stuck in the fence. I went to get him out of his predicament and noticed that a cat was next to him. No big deal. I figured it was my Maine Coon just waiting to come in. The cat had to go by me to get in the house but instead of the house he went up over the snow that has piled up in the yard (about four feet deep there) and that was when I really got a good look at him.
It was a Bobcat.
ep.gif
Thank goodness he didn't go in the basement. Looked like am inexperienced and hungry youngster who figured that the Muscovy would be an easy meal. I did rescue the duck but later in the day lost another who had flown over the fence and got too far down the hill behind my house. I watched the bobcat take her and there was nothing I could do with the hill being way too steep and the snow up to my waist.
sad.png

Quote:
We are just West of Gardiner. Just a back-yard chicken person. No fancy breeds or showing, just good fresh eggs and pretty hens in my yard.

I've never removed spurs from a rooster, just removed roosters. I read something about hot potatoes to soften the spurs once...? My easter egger roo will be needing a new home soon. He is aggressive, especially with children.

My goal is to scrape together the money or the material for a new coop. It's going to be hard, we are seriously broke. I'm using a dilapidated pigeon coop and feel so bad about the state it's in. It really did not hold up well over the winter and is just falling to pieces now.

I was born into a family with chickens. I'll always have chickens.

Coldweatherbirds don't let your coop condition bother you, if your birds have healthy combs and wattles, no frost bite, you one step ahead of me at a few points this past few months. Tight closed coops are dangerous if there is high ammonia and condensation.

I as well wish for something more "showy" but reality is up in my face! Budget and with showing birds, it costs money. Granted I picked up a few SQ birds, but as with anything, you catch that fever... don't need to say more and most certain others feel the same way!

The hot potato is not good, it causes a burn to the quick of the spur and from what I hear, painful. I do appreciate your humor on your rooster, not removing the spurs but removing the roo! Hee hee hee.

Something you might want to advertise for in Uncle Henry's or Craigs list, that your willing to take someones old ice fishing house, many people throw them away, or ask at your town office or even a game warden. You never know! Or at some construction site that is taking down buildings, often they don't mind you "dumpster" diving. Just some idea's. I have a old hen house that needs to be taken down but hardly anything worth traveling for. DH doesn't care for using "old" wood
roll.png
me, I'm not willing to put a lot of money into a hen house.

Oh, btw, back yard flocks are the best types of birds to own, those with lineage are weaker, so keep up your great little flock!

Back
Top Bottom