Maine

Quote:
Mutts are generally pretty good at sustaining themselves.

It's likely that you'd be able to order ducks from your local feed store, they're probably taking chick orders now. I like picking up small orders at the local feed store because I don't have to worry about delivery -- I just go to the store on the right day and pick up live birds.

If the local feed store is only ordering chicks, not ducklings, just ask if they could order some ducklings. I bet they can and would.

Tim

Quote:
Ahab,
Not sure where you are in the MidCoast, but RZR Company in Waldoboro takes duck orders (along with a few kinds of chicks and turkeys!!) Like I said, not sure where you're at, but if Waldoboro has ducks I'm pretty sure most anywhere has them!

Good luck!!

I'm near Belfast. Waldoboro's a bit of a haul, and we're low on actual feed dealers hereabouts these days (the ones that didn't go under years ago have become garden-furniture dealers). One still does chick orders, but requests for ducks other than Pekins and "them ruins" are met with disbelieving stares. Blue Seal in Bangor does orders, but I was actually hoping to buy from a Maine breeder; buying from the same out-of-state hatchery I can order from, via a local intermediary, seems to carry fewer benefits than drawbacks.

Quote:
That IS a bit of a hike! Sorry to hear about the lack of dealers in your parts.

You may want to check in some of the other forum sections [ducks and/or the buy/sell/auction] since your question is specifically about ducks...though I'm guessing you've tried that and ended up here hoping to find a local solution?

Good luck with your local "duck hunt".

Right. No problem at all finding the ducks I want on the national market. But I always try first to spend my money in Maine, at a small-scale producer. Failing that . . . there are many options out-o-state.

Here are a couple breeders, hope this helps on the duck hunt; http://www.gamebirdfarm.net/index.php http://www.birdbreeders.com/breedersinME.aspx

week old pullets should go for around $10-$15 and from what I've heard, $25 for 25 week olds. Usually a dollar a week is how I've heard it. Don't quote me on that tho, even if it is in type
big_smile.png

After the weather today, I'm looking forward to spring, it can't come fast enough this year, I'm so cooped up- just like the girls!

Anyone want a rooster? Beautiful big black Std Cochin, show family back ground, has vulture hocks and would make an awesome pet. Please, I hope someone would love to have him, we already have a Std Cochin. Also have a over load of bantam cochins. Just ask, we would love to re-home them.

hello my fellow mainers. yes rzr in waldoboro is taking orders for easter ducks right now. not sure what breeds they are. but i saw it advertised at the store the other day when i got my chicken grain. they also said that they should have there papers for the chick orders ready in a week or so. also anyone thats looking for a pure white rock rooster i have one he will be 2 in june. hes free. or i will trade for a white leghorn rooster. i live in warren.

Last edited:
If you folks would like to order any paper work from the USDA for your chickenstocks/swaps, or you just want a free calendar with all the biosecurity info, the USDA site offers these materials free and they ship to you free. I do order them for my events, mainly to teach and make folks aware of what it out there, not that we will get it, but its getting more and more common in our flocks from wild birds no less.
Eh, BE AWARE not BEWARE.

We talk about our birds and how many of us actually take our show birds to public places and toss them back in the same building as our healthy birds. I have heard some major horror stories from outside of Maine where whole poultry expo's drop dead by the end of the week! Scary.
Not on the line of poultry, but back in the day when farmers would lock their barns to prevent the spread of disease of cattle illness'. This is where our Vets & Breeders have come to wear the zipper suites and boot covers.

What can you recall that Maine farmers/farms do or have done to protect their livestock??

Back
Top Bottom