Maine

hello fellow Mainers. i was wondering if any of you had experience treating bumble foot. i seem to have a large easter egger with a small pinkish abcess on the bottom of her foot and its soft at the moment and shes hobbling around. was wondering what to do about it . i have read a little on it. should i cut it open and drain . what do i put on it after and so on. thanks wayne.

I am so excited to post right now!!!! My husband and I just went to the new Tractor Supply in Windham and he bought me my very first incubator!!! WOOHOOOO!! Its a Little Giant still air incubator, and we didnt get the egg turners (yet), but I am SOOOO very excited! Now I just need to pick all over your lovey, knowledgable brains about how to hatch :) And I guess I will be trying to get some eggs soon too :)

On another note, we talked to the folks at that location and they are very interested in doing farm days there. They asked if I would be interesed in helping to organize, but in all honesty I dont feel like I am ready for that. So if anyone on here is interested in doing it, I have the contact info for the gentleman at the store who would be the contact person. Just pm if you want it.
You could always join us for the Easter Hatch! We have 170+ participants, tons of hatching advice on there, and plenty of newbies AND experienced ones to answer your questions. Congrats!

hello fellow Mainers. i was wondering if any of you had experience treating bumble foot. i seem to have a large easter egger with a small pinkish abcess on the bottom of her foot and its soft at the moment and shes hobbling around. was wondering what to do about it . i have read a little on it. should i cut it open and drain . what do i put on it after and so on. thanks wayne.

I have only treated one so far. I soaked his foot in warm water, peeled the "abcess" and cleaned out the wound. I then put neosporin without pain relief and then put gauze and wrapped his foot in vet wrap. It is just one of the methods I found when it happened
hu.gif
good luck with your girl.

who was looking for Jersey Giants? I am looking to get eggs from a BYC'er that I frequently get eggs from and she has them(not sure what quality). I can see if she can toss some in my order and can just pass off any of those that hatch... I have room in the bator....

Unfortunately I have a lot of bumblefoot experience. Do you have a picture of the foot? I don't cut unless I have to, usually a huge infection with lots of swelling and black hard scab. In that case we do cut into it, and then pack it with Neosporin in step 5. This one below actually isn't that bad, but I would and did cut into it.

You can always try TLC on it:
1. Clean foot as best you can
2. Soak chicken feet in warm water. I do this in an 8x8 glass baking dish, so the waters only about an inch deep. I also add a TBSP of Epsom salt to the water. Soak as long as possible, but the chicken will probably hate it at first. I also make sure a towel is down, they poop a lot in this step.

3. Wash foot again, I use an antimicrobial soap at this point.
4. Dry foot.
5. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to entire foot pad. This is brand Neosporin, but the plain one, not with aloe, not with pain relief. Should have neomycin, bacitracin and polymixin in it.
6. Wrap foot in vet wrap, a soft wrap that sticks to itself. We cut a small 1x1 inch sterile gauze wrap and put more Neosporin on it, and put that into the wound. Then do vet wrap. You can also buy this at a pharmacy. There's plenty of threads on here about how to cut it and wrap the foot. 3 cuts on one side, one on the other.

7. Put biddy somewhere where she's not jumping around on it a lot. We use a brooder in the basement and she gets lots of treats.
8. Repeat daily.
9. Helps if you have a second person. If you don't wrap them in a towel.

I have only treated one so far. I soaked his foot in warm water, peeled the "abcess" and cleaned out the wound. I then put neosporin without pain relief and then put gauze and wrapped his foot in vet wrap. It is just one of the methods I found when it happened
hu.gif
good luck with your girl.

that sounds like a good easy method. did you change the bandage evryday and how long did it take to heal. i should probably keep her seperate from the others.

that sounds like a good easy method. did you change the bandage evryday and how long did it take to heal. i should probably keep her seperate from the others.

I do it daily. I had a few where I tried it less often and it didn't heal as quickly or as well. Daily keeps it clean and moist. It really will take about 10 to 14 days to heal enough for them to go back outside. A bit longer if it's really bad and you do a lot of cutting.

Unfortunately I have a lot of bumblefoot experience. Do you have a picture of the foot? I don't cut unless I have to, usually a huge infection with lots of swelling and black hard scab. In that case we do cut into it, and then pack it with Neosporin in step 5. This one below actually isn't that bad, but I would and did cut into it.

You can always try TLC on it:
1. Clean foot as best you can
2. Soak chicken feet in warm water. I do this in an 8x8 glass baking dish, so the waters only about an inch deep. I also add a TBSP of Epsom salt to the water. Soak as long as possible, but the chicken will probably hate it at first. I also make sure a towel is down, they poop a lot in this step.

3. Wash foot again, I use an antimicrobial soap at this point.
4. Dry foot.
5. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to entire foot pad. This is brand Neosporin, but the plain one, not with aloe, not with pain relief. Should have neomycin, bacitracin and polymixin in it.
6. Wrap foot in vet wrap, a soft wrap that sticks to itself. We cut a small 1x1 inch sterile gauze wrap and put more Neosporin on it, and put that into the wound. Then do vet wrap. You can also buy this at a pharmacy. There's plenty of threads on here about how to cut it and wrap the foot. 3 cuts on one side, one on the other.

7. Put biddy somewhere where she's not jumping around on it a lot. We use a brooder in the basement and she gets lots of treats.
8. Repeat daily.
9. Helps if you have a second person. If you don't wrap them in a towel.

thanks jody for the info . mine doesnt look quite as bad as yours yet about the size of a dime and a little black spot so far. maybe i should just bring her to you lol. im nervouse about cutting it open.

thanks jody for the info . mine doesnt look quite as bad as yours yet about the size of a dime and a little black spot so far. maybe i should just bring her to you lol. im nervouse about cutting it open.

We will do it if you need - but try TLC first, no cutting. After soaking try to lift the scab up with your (clean) fingernail. And remember, it will bleed a little. You might not get the scab up and off the first day, it may take 2-3 days of soaking and booties.

We had one so bad once the entire bottom of the foot was black with scab and the scab winded its way through the ball of the foot and up through the toes. It was awful. And she made it. Seems like my leghorns are especially prone to it.

who was looking for Jersey Giants? I am looking to get eggs from a BYC'er that I frequently get eggs from and she has them(not sure what quality). I can see if she can toss some in my order and can just pass off any of those that hatch... I have room in the bator....

It was me looking for JGs! i would love it if you could do that, just pm me the details and let me know what i owe you. Also, my husband bought me my first incubator today, so lets talk eggs too :)

Back
Top Bottom