Maine

Hello All,

I'm new on here and am hoping this is the right place to post!  My husband, dog and I are moving to Maine this summer - finally!  After living in an apartment for 12 years, I'm looking forward to having a garden, chickens, a house, a yard for the dog to run in...  We're beginning to look at houses, mainly in Cape Elizabeth and Falmouth.  I know those two towns allow chickens, but unfortunately I'm finding that several neighborhood association covenants don't!  Any advice on which neighborhoods/areas I should be looking?  

Thanks for any advice!

Personally, if i had to chose between JUST those 2 towns i would pick Falmouth. More rural-ish areas and FAR less touristy traffic come summer months. I grew up right in Portland, so was close to both places. With that being said, as an adult with kids and looking for space of our own, we chose to deal with a larger drive to conveniences in exchange for living in a smaller town with more freedom to do what we want!

Hoppy- i am soooooooo jealous!! I wanted to go see him so very badly!

Everyone get on thosr plans for a gathering and tell me where/when to show up!

A get together would be fun, Mainechick. I let my chickens out for a while today too. The older flock never stays out very long if there is snow around, but the hoop coop flock was out for a couple of hours. The only exposed grass is by the house, so I had to entice them in that direction with leaf pathways. I would have let them stay out all day, but I am paranoid about the neighbors's dog.

Egg production is way up this week, but none of the breeds I want to hatch are laying.

At the risk of revealing how out of the loop I am, I have never heard of Jeff Dunham. We don't have a television either, if that is where I would find out.

No wonder Time Magazinewrote that he is "the most popular comedian in the United States" and Forbes named him to its Celebrity 100 list of "Most Powerful Entertainers" two years running.

this should give you (buckabucka) an idea who he is:
At the risk of revealing how out of the loop I am, I have never heard of Jeff Dunham. We don't have a television either, if that is where I would find out.

he was in portland at the civic center and he's in manchester Nh tomorrow night.
bob marley is funny to in a different sort of way. I've seen him as well.
Hoppy- was Jeff Dunham around here?Portland? We saw Jim Gaffigan in Hampton beach a few years ago, and that was neat! I really want to see Bob Marley- I'm ashamed to say I never have!

Anyone in the Augusta area have some hatching eggs available for sale? I will be in Halowell next weekend and would love to pick some up.. Not too concerned with breed, just looking to put something in the incubator before I get too depressed!! Would prefer large fowl and would love some colorful eggs:)

I really appreciate the replies - thank you! We're coming up from Connecticut. My husband has a job lined up in Portland, so we're hoping to keep a semi-reasonable commute for him. No kids yet, but we'd like to have them eventually. I'll look into expanding the towns in the search a bit. I can tell already that compromise is going to be key in this process. :)

Anyone in the Augusta area have some hatching eggs available for sale? I will be in Halowell next weekend and would love to pick some up.. Not too concerned with breed, just looking to put something in the incubator before I get too depressed!! Would prefer large fowl and would love some colorful eggs:)

Naragansette turkey eggs. I am not sure if they are fertile or not. Just started to lay about a week ago. Free to a good home.

I think you need some more sizzle eggs.

:
Hello All,

I'm new on here and am hoping this is the right place to post! My husband, dog and I are moving to Maine this summer - finally! After living in an apartment for 12 years, I'm looking forward to having a garden, chickens, a house, a yard for the dog to run in... We're beginning to look at houses, mainly in Cape Elizabeth and Falmouth. I know those two towns allow chickens, but unfortunately I'm finding that several neighborhood association covenants don't! Any advice on which neighborhoods/areas I should be looking?

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome IZZYBELLA. I don't have any advice for you re: location to settle in, but I bet you're truly excited about the opportunity to have your own yard and space. Good luck with your search for a new home. where are you coming from? I don't know how important it is to settle in one of these 2 towns, but depending on what your transportation availability is, and how far you are willing to travel for work, you might get more land and a better house if you settle in a more rural town near by. Any kids, with school quality issues to keep in mind?? Also, the more rural towns will have less summer tourist traffic to deal with. It all boils down to priorities. Good luck with your search.

Welcome IZZYBELLA!

So exciting to be moving to a new space with lots of room! I agree with lazy gardener, you may get more land with less rules & no associations if you look for a more rural town. You'll be able to use your land as you wish and not how others tell you that you can!

Best Wishes!
CoopChick719

not to make any of you envious, but i had a date with jeff dunham last night. (me and 5000 other people,lol) he was great, It was a good ending to a great week for me.

Very jealous hoppy! I think he is hysterical!!
lau.gif

Would love to have a gathering in the spring!! Very generous of you MaineChick offering your place!!
thumbsup.gif

Glad you're getting better Mustard! I have a lot of friends who are nurses. They say WASH YOUR HANDS!!! Plain ole soap & water doesn't have be anti-bacterial! Wash before you eat, when you get home after being out in public, after handling money. How many of us go through the drive-thru, hand them $, get our change & start eating immediately? I know I'm guilty!!
ep.gif
I am not a germ-o-phobe by any means but these girls have convinced me that hand sanitzer is not a bad thing to carry with you during this flu season!!

Back
Top Bottom