Maine

anyone interested in going in on a chick order from Meyer? I'm planning an order for delivery on Feb. 4th. I'm only getting 4 chicks so need more to get the 15 chick minimum. I'm in Durham, so anyone interested within a half hour radius please let me know.

I know it's still January- but it's getting closer to spring, right?? There was some mention awhile back about a get together at some point, and maybe I've lost it, but I might be willing to do it here- I've got a big backyard, but thats about it!
YES! I think the Egg Swap is about due... and for the record I have seen MaineChick's house and its cozy... but a bit out of the way. (sorry!) I suppose it is Maine and much of the state is out of the way. I was considering having it here too because this place is pretty easy to find from 295. IDK. Seed Catalogs are welcome, too. I tend to order from Fedco and Johnnies but depending on who has a certain crop covers .... just had an idea. Should I start a thread about Chicken Co oping or order sharing in Maine? I was thinking that we could share bulk orders of things like cover crops for our birds, eventually trade some if needed, chick orders, eggs for eggs (decorating or hatching), and people could trade their chicken sitting duties for items etc. Maybe that is what the swaps already are but I like the idea that there is a spot just for trading and bartering. Hoppy, is there such a thing already? Either way I am interested Amaranth for sure.

Naragansette turkey eggs. I am not sure if they are fertile or not. Just started to lay about a week ago. Free to a good home.

SHHHH! Don't tell my son! (Although you could mention it to my turkeys. No eggs yet here.)

I concur about Falmouth over Cape if you are sure those are you two options. You'll pay high either way and both areas are not as easy to have roosters in. Both good schools too.

Headed to the Central Maine Bird Fanciers today. At least the roads are pretty good.

Coopchick, when I am at school, I never touch my face. Before lunch, I wash my hands well, turning off the faucet with a paper towel. My wrist gets the light switch, and a left pinky is good for opening the lever-style teacher's room door. Still, there is always the child who coughs or sneezes directly in your face whe you are working with them.

Egiroux, the Meyer order is very tempting, even though you are a drive from here, but the timing will not work for me. I am trying to coordinate hatching my own eggs with any hatchery, shipped eggs, or breeder chick orders, so that I can raise them all together. My own breeds that I plan to hatch from are not even laying right now, so I'm going to have to wait.

Depending on when we have our gathering, assuming it comes together, I may or may not want to swap hatching eggs. I at least hope to have something to offer. Mostly, I just want to put a face to all these names. I think that I am going to be "the old person" :D .

Someday, I hope to make it to the CMBF meeting. DH has now dropped his quest to be a chicken breeder. He figured out it is not a great way to make money, and what he needs is a job, not a hobby. Too bad for me, because he would have built all kinds of chicken pens! :D

Bucka- I was trying to convince my husband last night that I would make us rich by breeding chickens, if only he would build me the proper pens and coops etc. He didnt fall for it so I have no new pens in the works just yet. I think I may have lost him when I told him the only way for this to be a successful operation we would need some alpacas to keep the chickens company
lau.gif
I dont know how he sees right through my very convincing stories!

Either way I am interested Amaranth for sure.
I have heard of amaranth to for chickens but only can find the ornamental type. Where can I find it? Also what else do you grow for your chickens? Ever try Millet? We grow some comfrey but have heard that it can be a problem with the liver. Any thoughts.

Bucka- I was trying to convince my husband last night that I would make us rich by breeding chickens, if only he would build me the proper pens and coops etc. He didnt fall for it so I have no new pens in the works just yet. I think I may have lost him when I told him the only way for this to be a successful operation we would need some alpacas to keep the chickens company
lau.gif
I dont know how he sees right through my very convincing stories!

Mine would fall for that and say we needed a cow, too.
love.gif
Now we just need 100 more acres and 40 more hours in a day.

I'm going to have some eggs shipped to me tomorrow, so will be throwing them in the incubator in the middle of the week. Anyone else incubating?

YES! I think the Egg Swap is about due... and for the record I have seen MaineChick's house and its cozy... but a bit out of the way. (sorry!) I suppose it is Maine and much of the state is out of the way. I was considering having it here too because this place is pretty easy to find from 295. IDK. Seed Catalogs are welcome, too. I tend to order from Fedco and Johnnies but depending on who has a certain crop covers .... just had an idea. Should I start a thread about Chicken Co oping or order sharing in Maine? I was thinking that we could share bulk orders of things like cover crops for our birds, eventually trade some if needed, chick orders, eggs for eggs (decorating or hatching), and people could trade their chicken sitting duties for items etc. Maybe that is what the swaps already are but I like the idea that there is a spot just for trading and bartering. Hoppy, is there such a thing already? Either way I am interested Amaranth for sure.

SHHHH! Don't tell my son! (Although you could mention it to my turkeys. No eggs yet here.)

I concur about Falmouth over Cape if you are sure those are you two options. You'll pay high either way and both areas are not as easy to have roosters in. Both good schools too.

Headed to the Central Maine Bird Fanciers today. At least the roads are pretty good.

I'll fight you for it Ash! Just kidding... My yard is good, but I think your house is more spacious. haha I offered because even though the house seems a bit out of the way, it really is not far from 295and 95 from either augusta and gardiner, and it's also sort of central ( sort of!!) right now, during this slow and boring time of year, this seems like a fun idea, but I may decide in the future that I was crazy, and never offered this
tongue.png

http://maine.craigslist.org/pet/3542658827.html

Saw this on Craigslist. Any idea as to the breed?

On 1/12/13, I awoke to the sound of a rooster in my back yard. Later, I discovered 3 Roosters or Hens (I have no idea what exactly we have here) in the trees around my house and eventually they migrated to ground. They've been huddled in some branches beside the house ever since and don't seem to be going anywhere soon. I live in Portland and am not aware of any people in my area that keep hens, so I'm at a complete loss as to where these guys came from. But I would like to see them either get back to where they belong or to someone who wants them. I have no experience with the handling of these birds so if you're interested in taking them, I'd need you to come and collect them. I can tell you that when I went outside to take pictures of them, they seemed completely comfortable (and non-aggressive) with me getting within a couple of feet of them, so they must be very used to being around people. There's not really anything for them to feed on in my snow covered yard, so I imagine they are getting hungry. I don't want to see them die from exposure and hunger so I hope someone might be interested in taking them. Please contact me if you're interested or if you want more info. I've attached some photos. Thanks!
3M33L83Nf5I45N95Hdd1d8a09dae5b85412ab.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention- the seed swap idea is really good. I typically have leftovers, especially when I start seedlings. And when things get growing, there is always something that I have waaay too much of, no matter what. I think a swap/trade thread would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom