Maine

I'm giving away a 9-week old Easter Egger rooster on Craigslist, if anyone wants him. He has a cross-beak, which is too bad, since his coloring is so pretty.

47066_dsc01413.jpg

Quote:
I found a new place that I have not tried but tired of having too many broken wings from jasons (these are not post mortum wounds)
weston meat cutting in w. gardiner on the collins mill rd. soon to be certified so if you want to sell the meat later you can.
$3/bird or $7/turkey, vac sealed.
724-2027
i'm going to try them this yr.
they process any day of the week.

I just got home from the Sanford TSC swap. It was a little slow but only the second swap they had so far. I was out in the yard and peeked in the nesting box to find my first egg. Not sure if it came from my original hens that are 13- 14 weeks old or if it came from the 1 1/2 year old gals I got a few weeks ago.

Quote:
I found a new place that I have not tried but tired of having too many broken wings from jasons (these are not post mortum wounds)
weston meat cutting in w. gardiner on the collins mill rd. soon to be certified so if you want to sell the meat later you can.
$3/bird or $7/turkey, vac sealed.
724-2027
i'm going to try them this yr.
they process any day of the week.

Thanks for the information. We're setting up right now to process our two young roos that no one wanted to buy at the last few swaps. They're so badly behaved they've been in "solitary" in the basement for a week and a half now. I think we're going to also do my year old NN roo - really sad for me but the naked necks just don't sell. I'm not in this to sell chicks and make money, but me and the broodies love to hatch and it's been a nightmare trying to get rid of the extra chicks.

I haven't eaten meat since 2002 - I'll let you know how this goes.

I also have a couple of Roos available - Lav Ameraucanas & a beautiful Wheaten Ameraucana x OE cross. I'd love to keep the later, but in time he will have to go...
Both 10 weeks old... If interested, PM me. Located in So. Thomaston...
Steve

50610_img_4972.jpg

50610_img_4983.jpg

SCG wrote: Thanks for the information. We're setting up right now to process our two young roos that no one wanted to buy at the last few swaps. They're so badly behaved they've been in "solitary" in the basement for a week and a half now. I think we're going to also do my year old NN roo - really sad for me but the naked necks just don't sell. I'm not in this to sell chicks and make money, but me and the broodies love to hatch and it's been a nightmare trying to get rid of the extra chicks.

I haven't eaten meat since 2002 - I'll let you know how this goes.

Wow! Good luck with this SCG! I don't think I could do it. Too bad it is so hard to get rid of the extras. I have 7 roosters growing out here. One I may use to replace my current rooster, but there will still be 7 total to process somewhere. Good thing we have a big freezer!

Those are very pretty roosters, enggass! I wish I needed one.

WARNING - SKIP THIS POST IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH!

Processing the roos wasn't that bad (said the woman who only plucked and assisted). Boyfriend didn't think it was that bad and was very happy the poo all stayed contained. We absolutely need sharper and more appropriate knives though for next time. We're also fans of the multiple dunk technique (http://thedeliberateagrarian.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-properly-scald-chicken-my-never.html) and I can say that plucking was actually not bad at all. The weird thing is they have HAIR and feathers. The hair freaked me out a bit and was hard to get out.

We did two roos - both about 4 months old - one was a black sex link via marans and the other was some kind of feathered legged crested too many toed freakshow. The sex link was much bigger than the freakshow rooster despite being the same age.

The first bird took much longer to do than the second, and I suspect with proper knives we could do it all much faster. Set up through clean up took about 5 hours (but we did work slowly and I have to say I examined things more than I should have - I have a great picture of the heart of one of the birds). We followed the backyard poultry magazine how to process a bird article. We cut the bigger bird up into pieces since it didn't fit in a freezer bag and we've got the second smaller bird in a bag with brine soaking to cook up tomorrow.

46869_259208_184747424913160_100001337108712_458783_1727275_o.jpg

46869_271542_184746391579930_100001337108712_458770_2929109_o.jpg

46869_272281_184756258245610_100001337108712_458821_4136299_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom