Maine

It must be the day for aggro animals... Came home from running errands all day and my husband had got a TON of stuff done - a run off the coop with a pop door so we dont have to let the hens out through the wood shop anymore and they can still go outside when we're not home, cleaned up the trash piles that we've been pulling out of the woods and piling on the lawn for the last week (note to my landlords/their former tenants: R-13 styrofoam insulation is NOT SHEET MULCH. Nor is it pond liner. It is, however an ****** pain to dig up and remove once its been sitting in the forest for ten or so years), cleaning up the downed trees, and doing the dishes (whee!). He also had had Quite Enough of the three little NH/Faverolle/game mix cockerels that we hatched by accident in February, so we're having poussin for dinner! Even at nine weeks, they are remarkably meaty for heritage birds - we'll definitely be keeping the other two from that batch that are NOT the barnyard bullies, a pullet that is the SWEETEST chicken we've ever had, and a cockerel with his dads general disinterest-in-but-not-fear-of people. They just might be the foundation of that awesome Ultimate Northern Farm Fowl my husband wants to breed eventually.

Hooray for barbecues!
Sounds like a totally productive day! Love it when that happens.

Boy, it's not easy getting rid of a rooster! I'm about to start bribing people!

lau.gif
. Right now I have one year old Blk Australorp roo who does a good job with his girls and isn't aggressive. In the brooder I know I have two tetra tint roos about five weeks old. Don't need either. I also have two three week old Welsummer roos that I am growing out to see how they turn out. No idea on the Icelandics yet as to how may roos there are or the silkies.

So far today I have fed and watered all the outside critters. Still have to do the brooder clean out for the week. I was finally able to replace the hinges on the truck's tailgate (boy were the bolts in tight) so I now have a working tailgate again.
smile.png
. And I put two old push mowers at the end of the driveway for someone to take. Don't need them. Both need work but would be good for parts. Would love to get a bit of cash for them but just getting them out of the yard will be a plus.

Next is to start the spring clean out of the goats' shed, go through all the fencing supplies to see how many connectors I need. Found an unused roll of 2 inch electric fence tape that I had put in the basement so that will help with replacing the old fence. That leaves taking down the old horse shelter. I'm thinking I can use that space as a spot to plant the pumpkins, cucumbers and corn. Plenty of compost in the area and since it was outside the main fence I can easily keep the horses out of it.

I also have to pick up a belt at some point this weekend. Will probably hit the military surplus store for a web belt. With this new job I have lost so much weight that nothing fits. Can't afford to go on a shopping spree so I have to find some way to keep from having to constantly pull up my jeans. Haven't been this thin since college.

Boy, it's not easy getting rid of a rooster! I'm about to start bribing people!

I know what you mean! My first one found a home after I posted him on FB. All my friends said Sure, they'd take him.
wink.png
They had a craving for chicken. Thank goodness for my HS Science teacher who said I will take him. Please don't let anyone eat him. He now lives on a lovely little farm in Bridgton with a harem of 40 hens.

lau.gif
. Right now I have one year old Blk Australorp roo who does a good job with his girls and isn't aggressive. In the brooder I know I have two tetra tint roos about five weeks old. Don't need either. I also have two three week old Welsummer roos that I am growing out to see how they turn out. No idea on the Icelandics yet as to how may roos there are or the silkies.

So far today I have fed and watered all the outside critters. Still have to do the brooder clean out for the week. I was finally able to replace the hinges on the truck's tailgate (boy were the bolts in tight) so I now have a working tailgate again.
smile.png
. And I put two old push mowers at the end of the driveway for someone to take. Don't need them. Both need work but would be good for parts. Would love to get a bit of cash for them but just getting them out of the yard will be a plus.

Next is to start the spring clean out of the goats' shed, go through all the fencing supplies to see how many connectors I need. Found an unused roll of 2 inch electric fence tape that I had put in the basement so that will help with replacing the old fence. That leaves taking down the old horse shelter. I'm thinking I can use that space as a spot to plant the pumpkins, cucumbers and corn. Plenty of compost in the area and since it was outside the main fence I can easily keep the horses out of it.

I also have to pick up a belt at some point this weekend. Will probably hit the military surplus store for a web belt. With this new job I have lost so much weight that nothing fits. Can't afford to go on a shopping spree so I have to find some way to keep from having to constantly pull up my jeans. Haven't been this thin since college.
Widget, I'm tired just reading about all you've done. Good for you!! Don't forget about Goodwill if you're looking for a belt.

I've got to go hang laundry then dig out some compost.

Was going to clean out the ducks' pool today. It is just a kiddie pool so nothing fancy. The ducks don't have access to it right now since the pool is too big for their run and they aren't allowed out to free range right now because of predators. Anyway I went to empty the pool and decided I should wait until early morning or later in the day. The bees decided that it was the perfect watering hole for them. Figured I would let them have the pool for the day then clean it out after they went to bed.

Back
Top Bottom