Maine

Quote:
I am in hopes I have made it much more inhospitable for the critter (probably fox) who has had one too many chicken dinners. I took the weed whacker to the paddock area where it has been picking off the hens, and made it difficult to hide in the tall weeds, there are very few left. I run two strands of electric fence for Ms Grace the horse, I went all along the fence line with the weed whacker and lowered the bottom wire. There is only one place a small fox could get under without getting zapped and I peed there, LOL.
A friend of mine who has pugs and a back yard that borders on the woods was having trouble with foxes in the yard. These were tame enough so that when her hubby threw a rock at one of them, it went over to check out the rock.....
They started collecting their urine and putting it on the back of their property line and have not seen a fox for a week now.

Ms Grace has a run in she uses in the summer so she can come and go as she pleases, and she was hearing something tonight, so I hope if something is around it gets a shocking welcome.

I wonder if you can interrupt a wire electric fence with a length of netting then reattach the wire fencing. I am so electrical stupid it is not funny.

Here's a link for a company that sells electrifiable poultry fencing.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=96

They ship, it's a bit costly, but it lasts FOREVER and is movable - suitable for your free range philosophy.

Thats what I have. From them. My mom just got one and she loves hers too. Mine always says check fence, but I think it was damaged before I got it. It still works just not 100% Still gives you a good jolt if you touch it though. I have the solar charger too, it's really nice. My inlaws gave it to me along with all their chickens, that's how I got started in all this! I love it, easy to move and put up again so they always have a fresh area. I put mine around one side of the henhouse until it gets mowed down, then move it to the back, then to the other side, then the front. Sort of like rotational grazing. It's great. If you have a movable coop you could move it right along with it. You do need to keep the weeds way down around it though.

Anyone have any suggestions about combining my 2 flocks ? One flock is starting to lay, and has one Roo, and the other has ages from about 3 weeks to 8 weeks (?), with one about 10 week old Roo, and 3 about 8 week old guineas. The Hubby and I are making a large coop with a nice large run for them, but we don't know how they will treat each other. I tried putting the 2nd roo in with the older flock, but the ladies were so mean to him
rant.gif
I would greatly appreciate any ideas !

its hard to put smaller birds in with bigger ones you might try putting a fence in between them for a few days to get the older ones used to the younger 1s it might help that way the bigger ones wont be picking on the smaller ones so much

I have several orpingtons in blue, black and barred, laced blue. the father is a lavender to some of them. I also have a few lavenders but not decided who's staying and whos going yet. I'm going to start weeding out the sizzles (frizzled silkies) any that go will be pet quality only. limited number of those. pm me if interested. I may be at the scarbourgh swap this weekend and can bring some if presold, otherwise, it will be limited to what i have space to bring.

Quote:
I second the fence in between idea. That is how I did it. Now I let them run together as soon as the new chicks come out of the brooder, I have a small 2X3 or so, section of my coop fenced off with a little bitty opening just for them, there food and waterer go in there, and they go in and out as they please. They sleep in there too. Then there is no introduction necessary. I have noticed that the ones that have been raised this way are much freindlier and take their place in the flock better.

hey any ideas on a dual purpose flock of australorps ive got a chance to hatch out a bunch of eggs this winter i know they are great laying birds but im going to need to do something with the roosters my cousin is sending me over a bunch of eggs to hatch out for her this winter and she said that she would send me back the roosters and give me all the eggs that i want to hatch shes thinking that her flock is starting to get ready to slack off on eggs the birds will be almost 4 years old next summer and she wants to start up some replacement chicks this winter and i do like the idea of some free chicks to raise im just looking for something that i can get eggs from and can have the extra birds to feed us im not going to be selling any of the meat and its just me and my wife living at the house so we dont really need big chickens for a meal i was thinking about the cx chickens but dont really want to have to do 25 at a time we dont really have that much extra freezer space to fill up with just chicken but we do have plenty of family we can ship out our extra eggs to im just looking for some ideas cause we have some jersey giants and some bcm now and really want to add more chickens next spring

Quote:
cute- now you can start making for chicken swap plans. how many chickens can you carry with this bundle?
(like me, I have to figure how many chickens can I bring if I have 1 or 2 children with me)

Back
Top Bottom