Maine

Hooray for the first eggs!

One of my pullets started up while I was away. The pullets were in a separate part of the coop at the time, and DH did not even think to check for eggs in there, since none were laying. I came home to find a clutch of 3 tiny green eggs.

I know a lot of you process your own birds, but I was quite surprised to find that some butchers are already booked through the summer! Luckily, I got an appointment for 8 of our roosters on Saturday. They are 18 weeks old, and while I usually wait until 22 weeks or so, they are loud and obnoxious so I am looking forward to their departure. The other 11 are still growing, and so far, they are a much friendlier bunch.

Hooray for the first eggs!

One of my pullets started up while I was away. The pullets were in a separate part of the coop at the time, and DH did not even think to check for eggs in there, since none were laying. I came home to find a clutch of 3 tiny green eggs.

I know a lot of you process your own birds, but I was quite surprised to find that some butchers are already booked through the summer! Luckily, I got an appointment for 8 of our roosters on Saturday. They are 18 weeks old, and while I usually wait until 22 weeks or so, they are loud and obnoxious so I am looking forward to their departure. The other 11 are still growing, and so far, they are a much friendlier bunch.
So, can I ask... what does it cost to get your birds processed?? Congrats on the first eggs. What a treat to get eggs after all of that care that goes into raising them! My 2 kids have become egg eaters since my pullets have started laying. My 6 y.o. gets great pleasure out of deciding whose egg she is going to eat each morning. With only 5 birds, each egg is distinctive enough that we know who gifted it to us.

Congratulations, pellepeterson and buckabucka!! And thank you all, much, for the kind word about my coop/run.
big_smile.png

Are these supposed to be all pullets, because those two BRs look awfully boyish.
The white dots on the heads indicate MALES.
If I could derail conversation for a quick minute, would anyone be willing to throw some simple advice my way? Getting my coop together and looking for 6-12 laying hens to put in there. I'm very green when it comes to this, but am willing to put in as much work as needed. I don't need to feed an army with the eggs, but would like to have a fridge that's rarely empty and also like to enjoy the cluckers in the yard.
Yes! Visit the Union Fair and the Windsor Central Maine Bird Fancier show at Windsor-- all coming right up. There will be nice birds, reasonable prices, variety, and you are likely not to get the sick birds being swapped at TCS swaps. Think really small when proofing your coop, as in you want to keep mice out so that you are able to keep weasels out. Think ventilation not insulation. You'll have lots of eggs if you have three chickens; three a day six out of seven days from hatchery birds and nearly that out of breeder quality birds. Smaller combs mean less issues with frostbite.

Hooray on all the new eggs! So exciting!

Thank you for all the weed advice. I think I'm just going to keep taking the mower to it and try reseeding (or getting them to reseed). WAY too many plants out there to pull them up one by one.

I know a bunch of you have bees, so I'm hoping you can help! Where can I find bulk raw unfiltered honey locally (southern ME, live near Sebago Lake)? I bought a 5lb jug of Swan's at Fryeburg Fair last fall, and we finally ran out.

Thank you for all the weed advice. I think I'm just going to keep taking the mower to it and try reseeding (or getting them to reseed). WAY too many plants out there to pull them up one by one.

I know a bunch of you have bees, so I'm hoping you can help! Where can I find bulk raw unfiltered honey locally (southern ME, live near Sebago Lake)? I bought a 5lb jug of Swan's at Fryeburg Fair last fall, and we finally ran out.

Try http://thehoneyexchange.com/ . They are located in Portland.

I just wondered if anyone knows anything about Humphrey Farms Wayandottes? They advertised on Craigslist for silver laced pullets and they have a profile here on BYC. I haven't called...wanted to see if anyone has knowlrpedge/opinion, first. They are right up the road friom me.

THEY ARE HERE!!!!! IT WAS WORTH THE WAIT, SADLY I AM HOME ALONE SAVE THE DOG, CAT AND CHICKENS. THIS IS VERY EXCITING HERE AT THE PELLEPETERSON RANCH AND WE WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT! NOT SURE WHO DID IT, BUT, ALL THE GIRLS GOT SOME FRESH PEAS FROM THE GARDEN AS A TREAT FOR DOING SO WELL!

thumbsup.gif
Hooray!! It's like Christmas finding those first eggs!! P.S. I have the same color carpet in my living room.

On a side note: Japanese beetles are coming on strong in my yard. I dug out last years trap with last years bait and hung it in the chicken's run. Before I even go it hung, beetles were stacking up on the bait disk. I've been enjoying watching the pullets hanging out under the trap snagging the beetles out of the air. This in addition to the several handfuls of beetles they've already had today. And I was worried that my pullets were bored! I predict that the girls won't be eating as much FF during the next few weeks! Lately, bu the time they're ready for bed, their crops are quite distended.
Despite sleeping all day due to some cough/cold/sinus thing, I finally went out to put the girls to bed around 7 p.m. I saw some japanese beetles in my flower garden so I grabbed a bucket and knocked as many as I could find into it. Brought them out to the pen & dumped them, the girls looked at me like What the heck is this squirming mess? Where's our FF?! I put some FF on top of the beetles but only had a few nibblers. I'm going to dig my old trap out & hang in it the run to see if that will interest them.

I have a 6 week old chick who is not walking well. This started while I was at camp last week. Will walk a few steps then plop down. Is sleeping a lot. Poops are runny. No one else is acting off. I feed FF, BOSS, and dry crumbles. NO medicated feed! After doing some research here on BYC, could it be a Vitamin B deficiency? I have cut one of my B Complex vitamins in half, crushed it and added to scrambled egg. All of it was eaten. I've added electrolytes to the water and am changing it daily. Fed other half of Vitamin B in applesauce. Chick ate heartily. It perched on the side of the box for a little bit but was wobbily. Is now sleeping snuggled between two stuffed animals in the dog crate, in the house. Any suggestions?

You can also find some at the Farmers Market on Sat mornings at Deering Oaks Park in Portland. Not definite if it is unfiltered, I buy Tom's 100% pure wild Maine foraged Honey there.

Back
Top Bottom