Maine

congrats on all the new eggs!
clap.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Jazor: My coop is not insulated. This was my first year with chickens and I got a selection of breeds. I found that my Buff Orpingtons laid most consistently but I also have EEs, partridge rocks, Ameraucanas and BCMs that I added this year. I started with 6 chickens and thinking back that was a good number to start with BUT I did loose a few this first year to sickness and predators so you may want to get a couple extra if that is a concern. In the winter I added one 40 watt light to the coop and that is it. I had it on a time to make sure to keep them laying. There is one screened window that I kept open all the time for ventilation, even in winter. None of my chickens had any issues with the cold weather at all. They didnt want to go outside but they were fine in the coop. I also use deep litter method. I only clean out the coop completely once a year. Otherwise I just keep adding pine shavings, unless I spill a bunch of water in there, then I scoop out the wet stuff.
How do you do your deep litter method, I have been reading about it and some say to sprinkle DE over before adding more shavings and others say don't. I want to do my coop that way and was wondering which way is better. Thanks Cyndi

Sorry to derail all current conversations, but I just met someone on another board who is vegan (no animals or animal byproducts aka:eggs) and was commenting on how keeping pets goes against nature. I don't want to come across rude, so I didn't ask, but if she isn't eating the chicken or its eggs and she's not keeping it as a pet, why is she a chicken owner?
She may keep them as lawn ornaments, as little garden helpers, which is the primary, but not only reason why I started with them this year. (Tillers, fertilizers, pest control, weed eaters) Otherwise, she's entitled to her opinion, and obviously, you're entitled to her opinion as well. Take it all with a grain of salt. But, if she's not keeping them as pets or for their by products, she's doing them a disservice by keeping them according to her own opinion.

Cyndi,
All I do is dump a bale of shavings into the coop. Once in a while I go in and kick it around to mix it up so all the poop (moisture) isn't in one area. When it starts to get a little smelly I get another bale and dump it in there and mix it up. I add DE if I think I need to. I am going to add some tomorrow since I have been seeing ticks on the chickens. I think it is good to add the DE. It doesn't hurt them. Just make sure its food grade DE the stuff made for pools is toxic.

In spring I clean it all out and add the used shavings to the compost heap.

I have yet to have a problem doing it this way. As long as you don't mind knowing the poo is in there decomposing it works fine and has never been overly smelly or acrid..

I have a 6 week old chick who is not walking well. This started while I was at camp last week. Will walk a few steps then plop down. Is sleeping a lot. Poops are runny. No one else is acting off. I feed FF, BOSS, and dry crumbles. NO medicated feed! After doing some research here on BYC, could it be a Vitamin B deficiency? I have cut one of my B Complex vitamins in half, crushed it and added to scrambled egg. All of it was eaten. I've added electrolytes to the water and am changing it daily. Fed other half of Vitamin B in applesauce. Chick ate heartily. It perched on the side of the box for a little bit but was wobbily. Is now sleeping snuggled between two stuffed animals in the dog crate, in the house. Any suggestions?
It needs medicated chick starter and Duramycin

Thanks for the reply. I'll answer as many of your bullets as I can.

I go through anywhere from 8-14 eggs a week, but have friends and family that I would supply with eggs (if possible) as well. I suppose in terms of quantity I'm looking to have a surplus on hand so I can I'm not (at this time) worried about trying to sell eggs, nor do I think it's a feasible endeavor just yet.

The chickens would able to free range, but I also have a section of my barn that will be devoted to their coop--and will be fencing in a run for them as well. I intend to have the coop provide warmth for them in the winter as well--keeping in mind that they will be in a barn that's not insulated. I will do what I can do insulate their immediate area, and also provide light bulbs (not heat lamps due to fire risk).

At this point I'm not concerned with hatching any chicks, or raising birds for meat--but open to the idea. No need for a rooster, also I don't particularly want one.

My research is pointing me towards R.I. Reds, or hybrids of them due to their heartiness and ability to withstand these cold winters we have. Hopefully something along these lines makes itself available to me in the near future!

Cheers,
Jazor
I can't resist sharing my opinion, because I am so opinionated! Personally, I find RIR to be a bit on the aggressive side. Theoretically, birds with the rose or pea comb are more tolerant of cold winter weather as their combs are less prone to frost bite issues. You might want to review Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart as it gives a lot of detail re: common and not so common breeds in an easy to compare format. A lot of folks will advise against supplemental winter heat because if the power goes out, your birds will be plunged into a deep freeze condition which they will not be adapted to. You'll have to make your own decisions there, as well as all of the other aspects of poultry keeping. Personally, I'm hoping to be able to keep just enough heat going, or some sort of heat supply to the water so I don't have to lug water and dump ice chunks multiple times/day. May even experiment with a heated brick from the wood stove. Lots of options there, including electricity. My personal preference is to choose a bird that has a rose or pea comb (less prone to frost bite) is not flighty, blends in well to the surrounding area, (thus not as likely to attract predators) is a good forager, but will adapt to confinement. A plus is that the bird shows some but not excessive broody tendencies. Also interested in variety of egg color, mostly to keep the kids interested in the enterprise. The birds that made it onto my must have list include Dominique (loved the personality and calm demeanor. Excellent foraging skills.) Araucana (somewhat flighty and knuckleheaded but that only makes them more charming. They have become very friendly as they have started laying, but not an aggressive bone in their bodies. First to lay for me at 16.5 weeks.) I also was blessed with a RIR and a BSL thanks to a egg gift from a BYC neighbor. The BSL lays a huge egg, and the RIR is a faithful egg layer, though her eggs are smaller. I find both of these birds to be aggressive. Read all the info you can get on the breeds you are considering, as which ever birds you end up with will be with you for quite a while.

RE Honey: There is a man with a small stand, like a lemonade stand but with honey and a few veggies, in Springvale I think. He sells it by the gallon-- literally. Old man. Reasonable for prices... but I am not sure if he sells unfiltered either. Most of it looked clear.

I almost forgot-- my new Ams are hatching! The first Orloffs are due any day and I got my last shipment of Orloffs! Yes, I know its late in the year, but YEY anyway.

Oh and regarding the wobbly chick: If you have a concern that its vitamins one of the easiest things is to add molasses to their water. You could also try crushing a brewers yeast tab into their water to dissolve. We have them for our dog so they are already here. Are you using ACV? If you aren't using any medicated feed the truth is that it could be cocci. Things have been SO wet everywhere and that is a great environment for it to thrive. The solution to that is get Corrid powder from TCS. Put a teaspoon in a gallon of water every day for five days. I would add the molasses as well to counteract the vitamin issue. If you have town water ie chlorinated/floridated then you would want to put some powdered milk in the water as well to counteract those chemicals. I can't recall how much but I have it archived. Got this info from a long time chicken keeper with a vet hubby.
Oh Jeeze, If someone near me ( Farmingdale) is in need of corrid I have a whole bunch of it in liquid form that I can share!

My broody mama hen took her chicks out for some exploring this morning. Out of 15 eggs she hatched out 5 little ones. All jet black with a bit of white on the chest. Every time she stopped they all went running and hid under her. It was really cute. Now to see if she can keep them safe since they are free ranging.

If it's a vitamin deficiency related thing, you might want to add some Vit E and Selenium. Beware that especially with Vit E being "fat absorbed" it's easy to over dose as it hangs around in the body and builds up. When my chick had Vit E encephalopathy, it presented with a lot of neurological issues. You might want to check out the thread re: "crazy chick disease" it shows a clip of what the syndrome looks like.
Nope, it's not acting like that.

Oh and regarding the wobbly chick: If you have a concern that its vitamins one of the easiest things is to add molasses to their water. You could also try crushing a brewers yeast tab into their water to dissolve. We have them for our dog so they are already here. Are you using ACV? If you aren't using any medicated feed the truth is that it could be cocci. Things have been SO wet everywhere and that is a great environment for it to thrive. The solution to that is get Corrid powder from TCS. Put a teaspoon in a gallon of water every day for five days. I would add the molasses as well to counteract the vitamin issue. If you have town water ie chlorinated/floridated then you would want to put some powdered milk in the water as well to counteract those chemicals. I can't recall how much but I have it archived. Got this info from a long time chicken keeper with a vet hubby.
I've been crushing up half of a B Complex vitamin and mixing with 1 Tbsp. of applesauce or plain yogurt and chick starter. I am using ACV in the water and in the FF. There isn't any blood in the poop and the poop is more solid today. It seems to be walking better and a lot less wobbly on the perch.

Can I keep the Corrid water in the fridge or mix up daily?

I think I will take MaineChick up on her offer of Corrid. I'll PM you. THANK YOU!!

My 23 week silkie mix still isn't laying. I hope she will soon. My little ones turn 12 weeks today. Still a month or two on them. I can't wait to collect bunches of eggs! So far we're getting 2 a day.

Some kind of sickness is sweeping through my flock and killing them, and I don't know what it is. They are fine one day and sick and dead the next. With all of the problems that I have had this year, I think I may just be done with keeping chickens!

Back
Top Bottom