Maine

Just have to take a moment and brag a bit. I still have a ways to go to get my coop just how I want it, but I got the shingles on the roof and felt I should show off a bit. I hope you don't mind.
Nest box view (I can see this part from my kitchen window. I like seeing the girls hanging out underneath.

The front/street side. I need to do some more work on my palm front and magnolia paintings as well as finish painting the window yellow, but it's getting there.

People access side with roll up window coverings made of bamboo placemats.

View of the back. It looks super crappy, but I'm really the only one who sees it,

Inside. The nest boxes are along the back there and there is another people door in the far right.

A Golden Girls reference on the roosting pole. There is also a picture of the Golden Girls in their "Chicken Little" costumes framed over by the thermometer,

My lattice hoop run and the start of my gardens around it. I plan to put grapes on the back to cover and get some more shade.

Just have to take a moment and brag a bit. I still have a ways to go to get my coop just how I want it, but I got the shingles on the roof and felt I should show off a bit. I hope you don't mind.
Nest box view (I can see this part from my kitchen window. I like seeing the girls hanging out underneath.

The front/street side. I need to do some more work on my palm front and magnolia paintings as well as finish painting the window yellow, but it's getting there.

People access side with roll up window coverings made of bamboo placemats.

View of the back. It looks super crappy, but I'm really the only one who sees it,

Inside. The nest boxes are along the back there and there is another people door in the far right.

A Golden Girls reference on the roosting pole. There is also a picture of the Golden Girls in their "Chicken Little" costumes framed over by the thermometer,

My lattice hoop run and the start of my gardens around it. I plan to put grapes on the back to cover and get some more shade.
you've put a lot of work into your design. You should be proud of yourself. Interesting idea of using lattice for the run. I'd never have thought of that. My girls actually had so many Japanese beetles today that they only finished one batch to keep an other pullet from getting their fair share!

Awesome coop. Had ours not come with the house I would have gone all out like that on something themed and special too :)

Kinsey, I am sorry about your flock. Don't give up yet. I know it is frustrating and sad but it is also part of life/chicken husbandry. Dorkings sound really interesting.

What a lovely day. After processing our last two meat birds this am, I am off to pull weeds from the walkway (joy) drink this Mojito, mound potatoes and make a plum,mixed berry, rhubarb cobbler for dessert :D

The friggin turkeys have taught my laying hens that it is really fun to dust bathe in the perennial garden. Ugh. They have trampled all sorts of good stuff. Yesterday I caught them in the kitchen garden eating my herbs! I hope they self marinate!

Hope everyone is having a lovely Saturday!

I went to 2 chicken swaps today bangor and waterville, had a great day, lots of fun meeting new people, seeing new types of birds and great weather.
now I'm exhausted.

I went to 2 chicken swaps today bangor and waterville, had a great day, lots of fun meeting new people, seeing new types of birds and great weather.
now I'm exhausted.
One of these days, I'm going to set aside some Saturday time to make it to a Bangor swap, but honestly I'm afraid to due to #1: Hubby would kill me if I brought home any living organism other than a plant... and I certainly don't need any of those. #2: paranoid re: biosecurity issues. The stuff I've been hearing on this site makes me cautious about even walking into my own coop.

Now that my BSL has successfully laid 3 eggs in the nest box, the RIR has taken over laying under the perch. The next plan is to put a layer of cardboard or some tree clippings under the perches. Any one have any other suggestions? Would a whole layer of garlic scapes/leaves under both lengths of perch be too much for the girls delicate respiratory systems? Would you be concerned about introducing virus/mites into the coop from wild bird population by using brush clippings under the perches?

I have street shoes vs my coop footware. if concerned, change your clothes and shower when you get home before you go near your birds and it's not only a place for you to buy, you can also sell a few of the extras if you have any.
When I run out of birds to sell, i sell crafted items.
as far as the garlic or brush under the perch, i would worry a bit about the fire danger. I know hay if it's put away not dry enough can combust and burn.
One of these days, I'm going to set aside some Saturday time to make it to a Bangor swap, but honestly I'm afraid to due to #1: Hubby would kill me if I brought home any living organism other than a plant... and I certainly don't need any of those. #2: paranoid re: biosecurity issues. The stuff I've been hearing on this site makes me cautious about even walking into my own coop.

Now that my BSL has successfully laid 3 eggs in the nest box, the RIR has taken over laying under the perch. The next plan is to put a layer of cardboard or some tree clippings under the perches. Any one have any other suggestions? Would a whole layer of garlic scapes/leaves under both lengths of perch be too much for the girls delicate respiratory systems? Would you be concerned about introducing virus/mites into the coop from wild bird population by using brush clippings under the perches?

I have street shoes vs my coop footware. if concerned, change your clothes and shower when you get home before you go near your birds and it's not only a place for you to buy, you can also sell a few of the extras if you have any.
When I run out of birds to sell, i sell crafted items.
as far as the garlic or brush under the perch, i would worry a bit about the fire danger. I know hay if it's put away not dry enough can combust and burn.
That shouldn't be a problem re: fire danger, b/c the coop is open on both sides, plenty of ventilation, and we're talking a very small area. I do have coop shoes, and realize that the threat of pathogens from wild bird populations is there whether I carry stuff on my shoes from other areas of the yard or not. Just paranoid. f/u question: What kind of disease can be carried in hatching eggs? Are hatchery chicks pretty much disease free? Thinking about starting some Freedom Rangers along with some Doms next spring.

there are a few respitory diseases that can be carried in eggs from what I have heard (MS, Corza,MG) google those. I wouldn't say that hatchery birds are disease free but if they did have a disease, that hatchery wouldn't be in business very long.
That shouldn't be a problem re: fire danger, b/c the coop is open on both sides, plenty of ventilation, and we're talking a very small area. I do have coop shoes, and realize that the threat of pathogens from wild bird populations is there whether I carry stuff on my shoes from other areas of the yard or not. Just paranoid. f/u question: What kind of disease can be carried in hatching eggs? Are hatchery chicks pretty much disease free? Thinking about starting some Freedom Rangers along with some Doms next spring.

I landscaped around the run a bit more and mowed the lawn as best I could (considering its so tall and thick from all the rain). Now I'm taking an H2O and AC break for a bit before going out to finish up. I'm feeling so accomplished. Also, since my jerk neighbor with the dogs is out of town, I was able to free range the girls most of the morning. They had an awesome time and are now enjoying a siesta.

Back
Top Bottom