Maine

Hi Kinsey, I have lost one and have had some issues. I am thinking if they are out in a run or in the rain has something to do with whats going on with mine. mine are in and out. I am thinking on the terms of mold and fungi at this point due to the rain and high humidity. One of mine that developed sour crop is doing much better , crop is looking much better have been giving him clotrimazole 1.5 ccs down the throat twice a day . Then I had another pooping a nasty green color put that one on some of the clotrimazole and seems to have cleared it up so far
fl.gif
and another pullet down so put her on vitamins and clotrimzole and she is now up on her feet so far , waiting to see if this works . cocci is another worry that I have also. I am putting all new sand in my runs and treating the runs with Hydrogen peroxide witch kills fungi and bacteria in soil. I will be getting the powder form of hydrogen peroxide which is called hydrogen dioxide .
i have never heard of this, hydrogen dioxide , for treating outside runs. did it work for you? if so, what did you do? how much, ect... is it expensive and where did you get it? thanks

I learnt about the hydrogen peroxide killing fungi in the soil from a florist whom grows a lot of veg/flowers. My brother had planted seeds his plants grew a couple of inches then died. He couldn't figure out why. He asked her and she said it is fungi in the soil that causes it, and to spray hydrogen peroxide 3% in the soil and that will take care of the problem and it worked with the plants. So I was taking about this with hoppy ,as the rainy spell caused a couple of my new chicks to get cocci. she found out that the powder form of hydrogen peroxide is hydrogen dioxide 3 % and can be gotten at johnny's seeds online. I have looked locally and cant find it in local stores. I haven't got the powder yet so I used the hydrogen peroxide spraying all over my run area just on top of the soil then covered with sand . I think it has worked for me so far. as far as the powder goes just sprinkle it around and work into the sand or layer sand over it. Hydrogen peroxide 3% kills bacteria and fungi . I feel it is much safer to use more so then other products. hope this helps.

What's the shank??? Still learning the correct terms...
The shank is the long scaly part of their leg. We are all still learning.
wink.png
The idea is to look at the shank and find a stub of a spur or not. So far with this method I have been 90% right about who was male and female, even in the Ams I hatched. Which stinks when you know from such an early age that they are cockerels and you know you don't need that many. I am still experimenting with this see. I haven't culled any at hatch based on what I am seeing anyway.
You mean the gray one? She's an olive egger. Almost all my olive eggers come out that color. They look like my rooster (who is Marans x Ameraucana).
LOVE this bird too! Lovely color... but blue is one of those really great colors on a chicken.

The new coop is finally on its stilt 'legs' That was a lot more work than I anticipated- leveling and squaring and bracing. Thankfully my neighbor- the one with the shavings, gave me some pointers. Now to put a 'run' and maybe a 'greenhouse' on it.

Must be exciting having the new coop come together, ashandvine!

I like to have chickens in a variety of colors for a pretty flock. The one color I was missing with my hatchery birds was blue. Then I eventually ended up with this rooster who always seems to pass on his blue color. Next I tried to get wheaten Ameraucanas, but that attempt failed more than once and I ended up with lavenders, so now blue/gray colors predominate.

My new favorite color is orange. I love the looks of German NH, with there reddish body and orange around the neck. Someday I'd like to have some of those. But my main goal is to have lots of different color eggs. That's why I like olive eggers, since they all seem to lay different shades, and they are not even consistent with their own colors. Of course, they all taste the same, but I just love looking at the colors.

I learnt about the hydrogen peroxide killing fungi in the soil from a florist whom grows a lot of veg/flowers. My brother had planted seeds his plants grew a couple of inches then died. He couldn't figure out why. He asked her and she said it is fungi in the soil that causes it, and to spray hydrogen peroxide 3% in the soil and that will take care of the problem and it worked with the plants. So I was taking about this with hoppy ,as the rainy spell caused a couple of my new chicks to get cocci. she found out that the powder form of hydrogen peroxide is hydrogen dioxide 3 % and can be gotten at johnny's seeds online. I have looked locally and cant find it in local stores. I haven't got the powder yet so I used the hydrogen peroxide spraying all over my run area just on top of the soil then covered with sand . I think it has worked for me so far. as far as the powder goes just sprinkle it around and work into the sand or layer sand over it. Hydrogen peroxide 3% kills bacteria and fungi . I feel it is much safer to use more so then other products. hope this helps.

Hi Paulajon, What type of sand do you use in your run? I have access to a sand pile but I think it has some salt mixed in with it.

thanks!!!! I whistled today and they all stopped in their tracks and just watched me lol!!!! We finally got them in willingly with raisins. But I'm sure looked hysterical to anyone watching! !!
smile.png

Daily I'm thankful that the coop is hidden from the neighbors' view, because they would think I am a crazy lady! At dusk the girls bed down in the grass in the run instead of going into the coop. I turn the light on in the coop when it starts getting dark, coax them with treats, and yet still there are always at least two who require additional convincing. :)

Hi Paulajon,  What type of sand do you use in your run? I have access to a sand pile but I think it has some salt mixed in with it.
I know you weren't asking me, but I thought I'd chime in. Salt will cause sores on chicken feet. It can also cause serious digestive issues. Even though towns are no longer suppose to add salt to their sand, most still do.

The gravel place near me offers "bank run" sand for just over $7 a square yard. I love the bank run because it is relatively small grains, but has variety. It has fine stuff for drainage and more course gravel which makes great natural grit. If you can store the extra or use it all, it's a great price.

Daily I'm thankful that the coop is hidden from the neighbors' view, because they would think I am a crazy lady! At dusk the girls bed down in the grass in the run instead of going into the coop. I turn the light on in the coop when it starts getting dark, coax them with treats, and yet still there are always at least two who require additional convincing. :)
I use a plastic container w/ BOSS or scratch whatever they love. I feed them some during the day from when there old enough to eat it. So when I shake the container they come running! So I go to there coop, shake it and sprinkls some into it and off they go. But mine go in once it starts to get dark. I can't believe their brave enough to stay out even in the dark! Mine are going in at 6:30 now, there's not to many that I have to coax, even the ones I got in June that were born in March.

Here's my question of the day:

Have you given your girls caterpillars? My peony is covered with webs and fuzzy caterpillars... kind of like tent caterpillars. I'd like to cut the webs out and throw them into the run. Not sure if Peony or a glut of those caterpillars would be toxic. Hope to hear from you all today, so I can take action on those nasty bugs before night fall!

My girls are getting out for a bit of range time when I'm in the yard, and so far, are leaving the garden alone, except for the blueberries, which they just can't resist... who can blame them there!!! Getting them back in is a bit of a challenge, but so far, it doesn't take very long. Once I get them herded to the run, they just follow the fence until they get to the gate, then I shoo them in, occasionally have to catch a couple and toss them over the fence. I need to get them accustomed to the sound of scratch rattling in a container, but honestly... will they willingly leave the thrill of the variety found in free range for a hand full of scratch?

Quailtrail: I know what you mean about having fun with the birds. Given a choice, I'd sit outside all day and watch chicken antics.

Bucka: That hen is absolutely beautiful. I love the blue body with the rust coloring on the head.

Back
Top Bottom