Maine

Ok so I have so I have posted in here before but I have a question. I think my chickens have issues. Lol they have a great coop and I thought they had been using their roost which is a 2x4. Well I peeked in tonight cause they were making all kinds of racquet. They are roosting in the open eves. Well they are hardware clothed on the outside very securely. Should I hardware cloth the inside so they stop sleeping up there. First pic is the inside pic and the second pic is them tonight.

Perhaps if it is warmer now they like the cool breeze? Funny how chickens seem to know what you intend so they do the opposite! They followed instinct and went to the highest spot. I added extra roosts in one coop due to adding 2 older girls temporarily (adjustments for broodies). Yeah, well, turns out the new roosts are just take off points to get on top of the shelter! That's where all the juveniles now roost
1f61e.png

Collie
welcome-byc.gif
! I highly recommend Brahmas, black australorps, buff orps., and wyandottes. chickens do better in cold climates than in hot. we've had chickens die from heat but never from the cold, frigid -15°F weather...

Collie :welcome ! I highly recommend Brahmas, black australorps, buff orps., and wyandottes. chickens do better in cold climates than in hot. we've had chickens die from heat but never from the cold, frigid -15°F weather...
that's what I've been seeing :) I've been doing a lot of reading up on good dual purpose breeds who do well in cold. I'm really hoping we get to go to Maine....it'd be nice to be within a few hours of my family :D

I even have "non-winter hardy breeds" - white leghorns, turkens and showgirls, and they're fine as long as they have somewhere to get out of the wind and warm up that has good ventilation. The only birds I have that absolutely despise going out in winter are my feather footed breeds (brahma). My banties and large fowl, regardless of type, do just fine in the winter with some preparation.

Wow, even turkens? I figured they'd be miserable in winter. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, since there are wild turkeys and turkey vultures in the north east.

Yup the turkens don't seem to care much about the weather. I have one winter wimp - the brahma as previously mentioned - the rest act the same. The ones with bigger wattles and combs you need to be careful with not to get frostbite.

I don't use anything like that - just make sure there's good ventilation. Sometimes large wattles get damaged - they dip in the water and then freeze. I've never had anyone have serious damage on their combs or wattles, though.

Anyone in Southern Maine have bantam ducks for sale? My call drake recently lost his mate and he's harassing the runners. A couple ladies are preferable but I'm flexible. Maybe another trio? Quality and color are not important. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom