Major attack - is this a bear?

The same exact thing happened to our neighbors about a week ago. Same hole, same description of injuries of chickens. It is so similar that I thought you were in fact my neighbors posting this. We live in LaMadera New Mexico and have mountain lions and bears in abundance. Neighbors live on property with apple, peach, and plum orchard so we assumed it was a bear as well. Please keep me posted if you find out what it was. I am sorry for the loss of your chickens, it is always hard to lose animals that you work so hard to protect.

I think it depends where you live. if you have known black bears in your area that’s probably it. If not I would say raccoon. They will actually behead them and be gone.. we have problems with snakes eating our eggs. So we had to snake proof their house.

I think it depends where you live. if you have known black bears in your area that’s probably it. If not I would say raccoon. They will actually behead them and be gone.. we have problems with snakes eating our eggs. So we had to snake proof their house.
This is from a previous post form the OP, seems pretty conclusive to me-
Lsox said:
confirmed it's a bear (or multiple). I followed the trail of feathers into the woods, found various parts of birds and eventually half a guinea. Then I stood in bear scat (cleverly wearing my slippers...). About five feet further in, I saw one or more bears - looked like a cub or two and a mother. Mystery solved! Decided the best move was to back out, as I didn't really want to stare them down.

Wow. I didn't see this when it was posted and i was voting bear. The hole is so big! And the hair is so long and black bearish. Scary stuff. And how do you keep them out? Or are you now just getting out of chickening?
I'm sorry you lost so many of your chickens. That was a horrible find!
And she even taught her cubs to go eat at your house. :(

Last edited:
Here are some pictures with a ruler for scale. Also noticed some what look like tooth marks at the top near where it got in.
View attachment 2343994View attachment 2343995View attachment 2343996View attachment 2343998
Wow. So sorry for your losses! I agree with everyone else....a bear could definitely do that much damage. Are any of the dead ones missing? I'd say definitely not raccoon, although anything can get through even double layer hardware cloth if it wants to bad enough. Do you have another place you could keep your remaining five at night for a week or so? If the bear does come back, finding an empty coop over a period of nights might help to discourage it. I agree with the heavy duty electric fence, you will need it.

Back
Top Bottom