major dog problems.

Hi! Are these dogs intact? Also Border collies are high energy dogs that require jobs. They are very intelligent if you don't provide useful activity they will find there own activities. Also dashunds, mixes you say..These are hounds that go to ground hunt badger. If you are not careful the longer they are able to chase fowl there prey drive will kick in and they will be killing your birds. Also 3 young dogs with no real supervision/packleader will become a pack. A real nuicence to you and you neighbors. I have worked and trained dogs most of my life primarelary working herding breeds. I recommend neuter/spay,seperate and crate train and get help from a reliable dog trainer near you.

there are only 2 and they are already terrorizing the chickens! you would think they were left all alone all day or something, the way they act, almost feral sometimes. the thing is that my dachsund mix was pretty good but now that i have the other one, they are both just insane acting. if they grow out of it, that is great but in the mean time i have to figure out what to do with them.

but in the mean time i have to figure out what to do with them.

You've gotten a lot of good suggestions here in terms of exercise, mental stimulation and training. It takes work to develop a well-behaved dog.

Youre dogs can learn to behave well in the house, but unless they are taught the behaviors you want, by you, they will keep doing what comes naturally to them.

My favorite trainer says, "Dogs can change, but people have to change first."

I would at least try to find a basic "puppy manners" or "family dog" style training class in your town to get you started.

they will play in the yard with us but neither of them will allow themselves to be led on a leash..

Polite leash walking is a doggie skill that has to be taught. They have to be introduced to the leash and taught what is expected of them, otherwise how are they to know? Basic dog training books would go over some of the how-to's, you might find a book at your local library.​

Oh! I finally saw their age- really! no wonder. neuter(MOST IMPORTANT) and try to involve any of your kids as far as excersizing and everybody get on the same page about training/discipline. They WILL learn if you make every effort to teach them. GOOD LUCK!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom