major dog problems.

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
i dont know what to do about my dogs..for whatever reason, they have both turned into monsters! they chase the chickens, even when i have gotten on to them several times..they tear through the house like little tornadoes, knocking everything over in their path,they keep hopping the fence to dig holes in my neighbors yard, much to her chagrin, and the worse thing is that they lick each other constantly. it is soo gross because my border collie will stand over my dachsund mixes face just so he can do it!!!!! i am ready to give both of them away!
what am i doing wrong??

A good dog is a tired dog....
wink.png
I'd say they need to be exercised. Is there someone at your home that can take them for long walks?

I totally agree with MissCluck, but I would add that physical exercise is not enough. They need to be psychologically challenged, as well. Any type of training, even to do tricks, will help. Physical exercise is extremely important, too, but if you can do BOTH, they...and YOU...will be much happier! Good luck!

full moon, spring in the air...... mine woke me up at 02:00 howling at whodoos in the woods.
lol.png

What breed are they? Hunting maybe be just in their blood.
I f they are the doxies you were talking about , thought luck . THey were bred to dig and flush out/ chase small rodents out of hole.
Its like showing a border collie a herd of animals and not allowing him to herd.

They sound bored possibly. If you don't have time to take them for a walk or run stick them on a treadmill. I know my dogs are terrors when they don't get enough playtime or things to stimulate their minds.

they get plenty of exercise...its mainly how they keep pleasuring each other that i cant stand..i mean, why??? and the way they are doing it is repulsive. maybe im not a dog person, and all dogs do this, i dont know..

.i mean, why???

I understand that that is not pleasant to watch. They are doing it because they enjoy it, I guess, and that is the thing they decide to do when there is nothing better going on.

You can provide better options for them.

Have you trained them at all? Even if they have one basic command, something as basic as sit, or one trick (shake?), you can divert them by stopping the 'fun', and working with them, starting by what they know already. Have them sit, have them shake, whatever... but every time they decide to engage in the behavior you don't like, they get work to do. You can also work on a command that sends them out of the room, and send one dog out into one room, and one into another room, to separate them. Get creative - you have so many options. You can also crate them, if they are crate trained. Once they start in on that behavior, quietly put them into their crates for a 'time-out'.

You mentioned that they do get exercise - what is their exercise like? Does it involve walks, other activities, or is it all from running around with each other? I agree with what others have said about them needing to be mentally challenged as well as getting physically exersized. I find that, in bad weather, I can tire my dog out just from mental work - thinking is hard work for doggies! And then my boy goes to sleep in front of the fire all tired out like a good doggie....

Adding a good daily structure to your dog's life also helps them to behave well.

Here's a link:

You're Grounded

and an excerpt:

Is your dog being rude, unresponsive, distracted or out of control? Does he consistently break house rules? Then ground him! Grounding is a simple process that calms, sweetens and refocuses your dog in just a few days. It also can help shy/sensitive dogs feel more secure in the world and confident in you. Here's what your dog must do:

and it goes on with a few simple things that help a dog stay calm and polite. It's only about a page long.​

Quote:
I hate how my dogs lick each other too but it how they are showing each other affection. The most disgusting thing mine do is hump each other and they don't care who it's infront of
barnie.gif
I've read that they do that to show dominance. Mind you they are both female and both spayed
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom