Major updates

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Hazelbunny, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Hazelbunny

Hazelbunny Songster

Jan 19, 2018
    Ontario, canada
    Hello again
    I know I disappeared for a bit...ok ok for a long time. But a lot of stuff has happened!

The first thing is...
    I have a rooster!!
    I have been hoping and hoping for a rooster and I finally hot one! His name is Simon and hes a silkie.
    20180906_063818.jpg
    He is the sweetest rooster I've ever met and I'm so happy I have him.

We also got more chickens
    We got 5 delawares, 5 dominques and 5 silkies(including Simon). But here's the thing...we had 39 chickens in summer and now we are down to 34. Fall is a dangerous time for us since we have many predators and many predators are getting ready for winter. Which leads me to the next thing

We have a fox...
    We have done a lot to get it to leave but it keeps coming back. Here are the pictures I took today
    20181006_151800.jpg
    20181006_151859.jpg
    It took one of my old ladies and almost killed my rooster so I need to do something about this.

I'm also going to build a mini coop for my silkies so they can be a bit safer and so I can breed them.

I think that's it! I'm going to try and be more active on here, so talk to ta later!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome back! :) You are definitely going to have to do something with that fox… They are lovely, but oh, they can be a problem with chickens as you know.

Chick-N-Fun, N F C and drumstick diva like this.
  3. Hazelbunny

Hazelbunny Songster

Jan 19, 2018
    Ontario, canada
    I've heard that one of our neighbors feed the foxes so I think that's why it likes 5o hang around. Its barely scared of me. I can get close to it and when I turn around it just comes back

Chick-N-Fun and drumstick diva like this.
  4. N F C

N F C booooo!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Chick-N-Fun and Hazelbunny like this.
  5. Hazelbunny

Hazelbunny Songster

Jan 19, 2018
    Ontario, canada
    Chick-N-Fun and N F C like this.
  6. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    You need good aim. And a rifle! He’s gonna keep coming back. Right now he’s just testing your defenses. Best wishes

drumstick diva and Chick-N-Fun like this.
  7. N F C

N F C booooo!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You can also ask questions about fox deterrents on this forum...maybe someone there has found a way of taking care of the problem:
    Predators and Pests

8. Hazelbunny

Hazelbunny Songster

Jan 19, 2018
    Ontario, canada
    Cant.
    Even if I could my family decided not to hurt the fox. We dont believe the we should kill an animal just because its hungry

9. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Well feed him lots of chicken and I guess he won’t be hungry. Best wishes

10. N F C

N F C booooo!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Just like everywhere else, you're going to find a wide variety of opinions here. Everyone has their own way of dealing with about every topic that comes up...predators, raising their flock, free range vs. confined flock, etc.

Find the advice that works the best for you (try asking about Mr. Fox on the predator forum, just click on the blue link I left in my previous post).

Best of luck to you @Hazelbunny :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: