MAKE IT STOP CHIRPING!!! Can't trouble shoot.

Mar 11, 2019
Skamokawa Washington
Chirp, Chirp, CHIRP!!! Why won't it stop? I have checked threads & find no answer. It's vent is clear & not plugged yet I have not seen poop, Vent seems normal. It is not hot, it is not cold. It does not want to be held, it is not being bullied but IS pecking at others. It will not lay and sleep for long, it is so restless. It pecks a bit at food and water but don't show interest. I got to to stop by putting it in incubator but only lasted 5 hours. Now that is no good. It is 4 days old. Failure to thrive? I'm going nuts!!

Put a white towel in there or blue. My Took loves blue. This is him when he was small, his mother pecked in the head. That pic is just how he slept.:love
My seven loved white.
0331171436-00.jpg
IM007769.JPG

Attachments

• 0601181507-00.jpg
    0601181507-00.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 9
Chirp, Chirp, CHIRP!!! Why won't it stop? I have checked threads & find no answer. It's vent is clear & not plugged yet I have not seen poop, Vent seems normal. It is not hot, it is not cold. It does not want to be held, it is not being bullied but IS pecking at others. It will not lay and sleep for long, it is so restless. It pecks a bit at food and water but don't show interest. I got to to stop by putting it in incubator but only lasted 5 hours. Now that is no good. It is 4 days old. Failure to thrive? I'm going nuts!!

Glad to hear several things seem fine. We've always had one or two loud ones that like to hear themselves cheep*cheep*cheep* so might be just a talker, but might be an issue.

Doe the chick eat and drink? I see you indicate "a bit" but is this markedly less than the other chicks?

How much space in the brooder and how many chicks?

How is the heat set up? Are you using heat plate, heat lamp, or other? And how do chicks access the warmth and can they get away from the warmth freely? From it being quiet in the incubator for awhile might mean it is a bit cold. So, also check your brooder for drafts. Once, we had a brooder where it seemed out of the way of ceiling vents and flow of people walking, but it got a lot quieter once I added a cardboard "deflector" on one side to block any potential drafts, so I suspect there was a draft according to the chicks, but one I could not feel at all (even when trying to determine a draft).

No poop in 4 days?
Are there other chicks?
Agrees...Need to see brooder set up.

GREAT STUFF! Ok, my nerves were so frazzled at the time of posting, I was spotty in information. I hadn't noticed him poop when he went in the incubator for the few hours. All I have at the moment is my PC because i decided to run my phone over & My new one is not here yet. (overnight shipping, ha ha right!) My brooder actually is a FERRET TANK. If you have ever been to Petco & seen where they keep the Ferrets, this is what we use. We took the top off to open it for ventilation. We bought something called a heating board for them. Because the tank is so large, they definitely can get away from heat or cool. I figured out the problem, I do thank everyone for their responses & have GREAT info now if this (I'm sure it will) arise again. IT WAS THE FOOD! I watched & watched & it seemed the chick only pecked at the smallest pieces. So, I took some of the chick starter and ground it into finer crumble & the little think ate, & pecked & drank & TA-DA is HAPPY! So named because "Ta-Da" I'm happy now!
So, does anyone know for what reason this could be? It is the same size as it's hatch mates. I only hatch 10 at a time. Is there beak issues or just what it prefers? I would have thought it would peck at larger pieces then to go so hungry, but perhaps it is special. Roo is Black Austrolorp & hen is Rhode Island Red..Chick is black with red face. Not sure if that even matters. Thanks again for the great stuff! I am well equipped now

GREAT STUFF! Ok, my nerves were so frazzled at the time of posting, I was spotty in information. I hadn't noticed him poop when he went in the incubator for the few hours. All I have at the moment is my PC because i decided to run my phone over & My new one is not here yet. (overnight shipping, ha ha right!) My brooder actually is a FERRET TANK. If you have ever been to Petco & seen where they keep the Ferrets, this is what we use. We took the top off to open it for ventilation. We bought something called a heating board for them. Because the tank is so large, they definitely can get away from heat or cool. I figured out the problem, I do thank everyone for their responses & have GREAT info now if this (I'm sure it will) arise again. IT WAS THE FOOD! I watched & watched & it seemed the chick only pecked at the smallest pieces. So, I took some of the chick starter and ground it into finer crumble & the little think ate, & pecked & drank & TA-DA is HAPPY! So named because "Ta-Da" I'm happy now!
So, does anyone know for what reason this could be? It is the same size as it's hatch mates. I only hatch 10 at a time. Is there beak issues or just what it prefers? I would have thought it would peck at larger pieces then to go so hungry, but perhaps it is special. Roo is Black Austrolorp & hen is Rhode Island Red..Chick is black with red face. Not sure if that even matters. Thanks again for the great stuff! I am well equipped now
I don't know much, but I can tell you when I first got my babies at 2 days, they seemed to have a hard time eating the chick food. I just put some water in there to soften it up. After a couple days, they were fine eating the chick food without water. I have no idea if that is normal or not, I just noticed they were having issues.

Back
Top Bottom