Make your own - No waste - 5 gallon (25# feed) bucket feeder for about $3

Pics
Posted a clip on our slightly larger build a while back..if interested..
0.jpg

Looking at making up another feeder & clip with a few different mods I've worked out for folks that cant find the flanged fittings.. Have also seen some other ideas online I want to have a crack at as well..
Keep promising my sister I will make her up one but the feed store is having problems getting the bins back in :/
Cheers & hope the clip helps..

Hey Rob Bob, Totally enjoy all your videos. A lot of fun watching your chooks. Your sister is STILL waiting on her feeder?
lau.gif

I also have plans to build one of the grower cages for the run. They need greens. I have way to many predators to free range. Not an option. sigh

Only have chickkens since March of this year....
Has anyone one out there at least in USA found the FLANGED...flanged elle for this feeder. It must be electical cause its grey......????? I saw the sorm collar one... looks like a dryer vent to me.....
Hubby made one with 3 inch street elle but had to silicone. it came off , he attached it better.... its for the big chickens..
Want one for the 4 month olds too in their seperate kennel. Oh, Hubby took an old solid pine deep drawer.turned upright. Covered it (the roof) with left over white aluminum shingles scaps(left from former home roof installation ) keeps the( FOOD GRADE) food grade bucket out of direct weather and relentless summer sun.....
Now if just can get the chickens to eat the pellets.... they used to have crumbles//// I have both sets spoled rotten...
If I culd find my camera would post a pic of.... Hubby so great and talented... Hecalls be chicken obessed....

Only have  chickkens since March of this year....
Has anyone one out there at least in  USA found the FLANGED...flanged elle for this feeder. It must be electical cause its grey......????? I saw the sorm collar one... looks like a dryer vent to me.....
  Hubby made one with 3  inch street elle but had to silicone. it came off , he attached it better.... its for the big chickens..
   Want one for the 4 month olds too in their seperate kennel.  Oh, Hubby took an old solid pine deep drawer.turned upright. Covered it (the roof) with left over  white aluminum shingles  scaps(left from former home roof installation ) keeps the( FOOD GRADE) food grade bucket out of direct weather and relentless summer sun.....
  Now if just can get  the chickens to eat the pellets.... they used to have crumbles//// I have both sets spoled rotten...
  If I culd find my camera would post a pic of.... Hubby so great and talented... Hecalls be chicken obessed....
I went to Lowe's and got 3 inch schedule 40 90 degree elbows with the flange in the plumbing isle.Take away the crumbles and put a few pellets on the edge of the elbows so they can see it, they will eat no chicken ever starved to death when there was food available.

Only have chickkens since March of this year....
Has anyone one out there at least in USA found the FLANGED...flanged elle for this feeder. It must be electical cause its grey......????? I saw the sorm collar one... looks like a dryer vent to me.....
Hubby made one with 3 inch street elle but had to silicone. it came off , he attached it better.... its for the big chickens..
Want one for the 4 month olds too in their seperate kennel. Oh, Hubby took an old solid pine deep drawer.turned upright. Covered it (the roof) with left over white aluminum shingles scaps(left from former home roof installation ) keeps the( FOOD GRADE) food grade bucket out of direct weather and relentless summer sun.....
Now if just can get the chickens to eat the pellets.... they used to have crumbles//// I have both sets spoled rotten...
Here in Australia it's a storm water/water tank fitting so might bi in different places in different stores..
You don't really need a flanged fitting from what I've seen.. If you manage to cut the hole neat enough a normal elbow will fit in there nice & tight..

Hey Rob Bob, Totally enjoy all your videos. A lot of fun watching your chooks. Your sister is STILL waiting on her feeder?
lau.gif

I also have plans to build one of the grower cages for the run. They need greens. I have way to many predators to free range. Not an option.

Thanks Linda :) Sister visited the other day & reminded me
hmm.png
Have made up a few small 4gal ones for another clip but still waiting for a larger drum for her 12+ chook flock..

Hubby and I made up a huge feeder with 10 ports out of a garbage can. It holds 100 lbs of food and has been outside in all kinds of weather without the food ever getting wet. Inside the can we have 1/2 of a cinder block to keep the can from blowing away when its low on feed and to help keep the feed flowing to the edges. The chickens can reach every bit of their food in this feeder with only the need for us to brush a little excess off the top of the cinder block toward the end. We let them completely empty the bin before we refill it thus eliminating the possibility of somehow a bit of food getting too old. Our ducks and turkeys have also used it with no problem. Originally it was built for our meat birds with ten ports for twenty birds due to their voracious veloceraptor eating habits. It graduated on to feed the pets when the meaties were gone. Very convenient. Never found a mouse in it. In fact, I really don't think mice can get to it being that we have it on a base smaller than the can itself. (An old milk crate) There's no place for a mouse to climb. They would have to jump up a foot or so and then make just the perfect arc at the top of the jump to get inside a port. Anyway, thought i would share another twist on this brilliant idea. Was going to ad a photo but it won't upload.

Thank you for the trash can idea and picture. . With 30 chickens in one pen and 20 in another, I thought I was going to have several buckets in each. With this, I can have just one in each. Does the rain get in the ports? How do you keep the chickens off of the top?

Thank you for the trash can idea and picture. . With 30 chickens in one pen and 20 in another, I thought I was going to have several buckets in each. With this, I can have just one in each. Does the rain get in the ports? How do you keep the chickens off of the top?

I have had this outdoors unprotected for more than a year and I've never had the food get wet. Snow drifted into a few ports in the winter but with over 180 inches of snow, we had to shovel for the birds anyway. I just scooped it with my gloved hand and it was gone. I have heavy bodied lazy chickens that don't fly much. I chose a trash can with a locking lid and weighed it down inside with 1/2 a cinder block to prevent the occasional ambitious individual from being able to knock it open or topple it over. If its not full with up to 100 lbs of food, the cinder block holds it steady. Once in a very great while some energetic chicken or turkey hops up there, but not often. Poo cleans off easily and doesn't happen often. Its far enough from the fence and coop they can't use it as a way to hop to a more inappropriate place. We did ad the 'skirt' made from the left over lid from an old cracked up can. My husband misunderstood that it was to be placed just above the ports as a sort of awning for more protection from the elements. He put it up too high. I really don't think its doing much to protect anything but the chickens at the feeder from being poo'd upon if someone is up top. You can see a turkey poo on it in the photos. I didn't clean it up for pictures... What you see in the photos is real world living. Lol. I do love someone:s idea posyed on this thread earlier of securing an empty wire flower basket upsidedown on the lid. For me, however, it just doesn't bug me if once in a while someone sits on it. I can't figure a way to secire the plant basket without losing my waterproof quality of the lid. I keep a pair of ducks in wiyh my chickens to pat down the snow for my feather-footed breeds. That way I can feed them outdoors year-round.

Oh and one more thing... When I went garbage can shopping I checked the fit and shape of a lot of different style lids. I chose this one because the lid is strong, doesn't cave in, and forms a tight seal.. Even *I* could sit on this thing if for some crazy reason I wanted to. And it seals pretty tight. I *thought* i might have to put a brick on top to keep strong winds from blowing off, but its never come loose on us. At least I still have that option for the future in case later in its life it doesn't shut so good. So this is my prototype. What I would change in the future: I would search high and low for the screw-on flanged type 90"s,and if they still needed caulking I would do it myself instead of asking the dh who is the messiest caulker on the planet. I would skip the skirt awning because it seems to be completely unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom