Making a home made incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Debs55, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm lookin into making a homemade incubator but I'm confused I understand that you need a heat source (light), a fan, a thermostat and a thermometer. The problem is that my dad (who is helping me make it) says all the computer fans we have run off of DC current and he does t think we could use it and he doesn't know how to wire it. So can we use it? If so how? Thanks y'all!

2. bilder

bilder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Phoenix, Oregon
    Just take an old 12v charger or power supply and use that to power the fan.

3. Debs55

That will work even if it is DC? I'm sorry I don't understand electrical talk atall!

4. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

12volt chargers, such as some cell phone chargers, put out 12 volts of DC. They convert it from the 120 volt AC to 12 volts Direct Current (used for batteries or other DC devices). You would be surprised just how many output 12 volts DC.

Edit: Woops looks like my newer cell phone charger is only 5 volts but it is still DC.

Other electronic power supplies that might be useful would be those for routers, computer speakers, printers etc. Many of those devices run on 12 volts DC.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  6. Debs55

Thanks everyone! And I'll be sure to check out that link!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    you welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by