Making fertile Eggs non-viable

I agree w/ Lazy Gardener I dont sell hatching eggs but there was one time I was working on a polish project that I didnt want released and she asked for some eating eggs but wanted the (white) polish eggs. I told her I wasnt selling them and she said she wouldnt incubate them and her family would only eat white eggs. LOL So I literally gave them a good shake before she got them and sure enough , straight to her bator they went. She ended up with 2 chicks out of the dozen. SO, There are times when you just dont want "your" chicks in others hands. I actually dont sell them at all, I give them away but thats not the point.

I sell eating eggs and hatching eggs for the same price. Am i missing something?
I collect my hatching eggs several times throughout the day verses eating eggs at the end of the day. I take extra care not to shake them around. And provide separate housing and runs for my pure breeds. In addition to higher protein feed than most peoples eating eggs and vitamin supplements. I also made a larger investment to get quality birds that are not hatchery stock from various breeders to ensure my genetics. ;)

If you wanna ensure people don't buy eating eggs to hatch... simply don't sell eating eggs. And keep the price of your hatching eggs up. Otherwise, I completely agree with LG and say get over it... can't dictate what others will do with eggs once they purchase. :confused:

Don't advertise your eating eggs as fertile. I also don't wash the eggs. Been warned against it for hatching. Maybe washing will decrease their hatchability...But there comes a point when greed is what's got you worried. :hmm Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. Worry about someone getting over on ya for a $... :barnieit's your choice how to think about things. I agree though mix breeds have little to no value when you can buy pure bred sexed females all day long for under $4 each. So if that's what your eating eggs are, meh!

Also, I hatch out all my Marans and Silkies. None of those eggs go into an eating carton ever... unless it's for my own family. This ensures the value of my hatching eggs (which I don't currently sell). I sell straight run Silkie chicks for $8-9 each all day long faster than I can hatch! My barnyard mix chicks (I did for hatching trial and eating while my breeding birds were on vacation) sold for $2 each.. which was just a bonus because I wasn't planning to sell... until they became $30 pullets. But now I don't have to raise them! :)

Anyways, don't take my comments personal like I said you are greedy that wasn't my intent... but just to share with you how I stay humble and of good mind instead of worrying about what the world may be plotting. :hugs

Good luck with your adventures! :jumpy

she asked for some eating eggs but wanted the (white) polish eggs. I told her I wasnt selling them and she said she wouldnt incubate them and her family would only eat white eggs.
I guess she can go get her white eggs at the super market next time! :mad: Hope she got both boys. :tongue

And had better NOT plan on any cordial future contact with blatant disregard like that. :smack

Some people. :rant

I guess she can go get her white eggs at the super market next time! :mad: Hope she got both boys. :tongue

And had better NOT plan on any cordial future contact with blatant disregard like that. :smack

Some people. :rant
well, I gave them to her. I didnt have to. LOL I must of had it in the back of my mind somewhere or I wouldnt of done the hokey pokey with the eggs before she got them.

Wonder if those eggs would have been scrambled when they landed in the frying pan.... IF she had eaten them as she said she was going to! If an addled egg did not end up being scrambled, that would be one way to ensure that they don't hatch. But, that would negate the value of eating eggs for the honest customer, IMO.
well, Im not very strong and she got 2 so they werent all scrambled. LOL Buy ya, I like mine over easy I would be mad if I had to eat them all scrambled !

Wonder if those eggs would have been scrambled when they landed in the frying pan.... IF she had eaten them as she said she was going to! If an addled egg did not end up being scrambled, that would be one way to ensure that they don't hatch. But, that would negate the value of eating eggs for the honest customer, IMO.
My daughter and I were trying to make eggs scrambled on the inside before boiling I think. (it was some recipe anyways) Well we put eggs inside a sock and twisted, swung, all kinds of stuff, for a good 10-20 minutes. We were very unsuccessful at scrambling and surprised at just how much abuse the egg could take and still APPEAR in tact. Though I can't remember if we were able to pop the yolk, we definitely weren't able to get them mixed. :confused:

We had fun trying though! :p

The reason I am asking is because yes, I am working on a project and we give away all our extra eggs to food banks. Well we now have someone who 'stalks' the food banks for my eggs (we always date stamp collection day) to try to get our eggs to hatch so he doesn't have to pay.

I don't appreciate being called greedy - this is my livelihood & my job. I invested a lot of money (my entire retirement when I quit my job and started my homestead & hatchery) into my birds. I've imported them from across the country, worked hard on my blood lines.

Nobody works for free - it takes funding and I can't give my work away. This person had already "stolen" and hatched eggs of mine and is actively trying to compete against me (though he was recently shut down because all his birds died from his neglect).

Last edited:
Are you able to separate or cycle your hens through a chunk of time, a couple of months, where they are away from the rooster and use those eggs for your eating sales? Or even just have barnyard stock away from your breeding stock and use them solely for your eating eggs. I understand how frustrating this situation must be especially knowing that this guy is not good to his animals, that sucks.....:(

Back
Top Bottom