Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

I accept that I'll have some losses to hawks from time to time.

But why couldn't the hawk have taken the crossbeak instead of one of only 2 OE pullets? Or any of the OE boys!
Like when the oppossum went by a bowl half full of food and 2 lame birds on the floor to get a pullet.

State called - my twice annual inspection is tommorow, and I still haven't had a chance to cull down to a smaller flock size. Just the one the hawk got...

I don't have time for this. Oh, and it looks like at least a few of my chicks may have worms. My eyes such, but I'm seeing white spots in the poop that may simply be white grains of recycled concrete (they use it as grit, the base for my barn) but might also be worm segment rings. They are being treated en masse through their water source (fenbendazole soluable - my TSC was out of everything else except horse paste, and I wasn't going to treat and retreat the whole flock individually...

State called - my twice annual inspection is tommorow, and I still haven't had a chance to cull down to a smaller flock size. Just the one the hawk got...

I don't have time for this. Oh, and it looks like at least a few of my chicks may have worms. My eyes such, but I'm seeing white spots in the poop that may simply be white grains of recycled concrete (they use it as grit, the base for my barn) but might also be worm segment rings. They are being treated en masse through their water source (fenbendazole soluable - my TSC was out of everything else except horse paste, and I wasn't going to treat and retreat the whole flock individually...
Sorry you have a lot on you. I can't believe the state would schedule testing when people should be doing hurricane prep.
You and your wife are in my prayers. Be safe!

I hope everything got sorted out for you.

I have read that Ian has an unusually wide cone of uncertainty.

I'm eyeing in in re: heavy rain for us -- or it could completely miss us.
I've been watching FL hurricanes for 30, almost 40 of my 50 years, and the spaghetti maps for more than a decade. There's broad agreement for about 24, maybe 36 hours - then al bets are off. They are counting on a weak front to pick this thing up - a weak front already most of 48 hours delayed, and contrary to our experinece of the last two decades that the models seriously overstate the ability of fronts to steer a Cat 4 hurricane - which is what this is projected to be, when that weak front is supposed to pick it up.

As to why all the models say it will decrease in intensity from weak Cat 4 (or strong Cat 3) before making landfall??? My wife and I are scratching our head about that. Makes no sense to us. Gulf water temps don't account for it. Neither does the Gulf "shelf" off of Tampa Bay, which helps steer away from direct hits somehow, but has never decreased intensity that I can recall.

I've been watching FL hurricanes for 30, almost 40 of my 50 years, and the spaghetti maps for more than a decade. There's broad agreement for about 24, maybe 36 hours - then al bets are off. They are counting on a weak front to pick this thing up - a weak front already most of 48 hours delayed, and contrary to our experinece of the last two decades that the models seriously overstate the ability of fronts to steer a Cat 4 hurricane - which is what this is projected to be, when that weak front is supposed to pick it up.

As to why all the models say it will decrease in intensity from weak Cat 4 (or strong Cat 3) before making landfall??? My wife and I are scratching our head about that. Makes no sense to us. Gulf water temps don't account for it. Neither does the Gulf "shelf" off of Tampa Bay, which helps steer away from direct hits somehow, but has never decreased intensity that I can recall.

Unfortunately, when The Weather Channel bought Weather Underground we lost what I considered my best source of hurricane tracking and prediction information.

Back
Top Bottom