Making my own coop/run. Am I doing it right?

if you have neighbors 20-30ft away.. all those windows and ventilation holes might backfired at night.

One of my neighbors has glass wall for their bathroom, while all of them have flood lights in their backyard.

My chickens can not sleep when they have those lights on.  I have to cover up the sides of the coop (without blocking the ventilation gap+holes) for the night.

I see. Thanks for that. I would NEVER have given that any consideration.
Placement reconsidered.
Thanks for the reply.

I put limo tint on the south facing windows of my coop to knock down the light from a neighboring commercial property. Works great. The roosts are right in front of those windows and no issues with the chickens sleeping.

I put limo tint on the south facing windows of my coop to knock down the light from a neighboring commercial property. Works great. The roosts are right in front of those windows and no issues with the chickens sleeping.

My wife says she wants hinged shutters. So....
Hinged shutters it is.
Thanks for the reply,T!

Quote: Shading the coop will help keep it cooler, or at least keep it from heating up as fast.
The birds need a place of deep shade to cool off when temps rise.
Heat can be a real hardship for the birds...more so than cold.
Not sure about silkies in particular tho.

Some of the users here on this forums do not have to worry about lights from neighbors.. since they have ACREs of land
wink.png

but when you only feets away.. there are other problems

they allowed chickens here..

but there's also noise and smell ordinance

no rooster- so noise is not a problem

but smell- this is the reason why i have to clean out the coop and then cover the fresh manure with dried leaves when i put them in my compost bin.

Some of the users here on this forums do not have to worry about lights from neighbors.. since they have ACREs of land
wink.png

but when you only feets away.. there are other problems

they allowed chickens here..

but there's also noise and smell ordinance

no rooster- so noise is not a problem

but smell- this is the reason why i have to clean out the coop and then cover the fresh manure with dried leaves when i put them in my compost bin.
Hen/pullets can get pret-ty darn loud...but at least it's only during the day.

Hen/pullets can get pret-ty darn loud...but at least it's only during the day.

these girls? nah.. they are pretty quite through out the whole day (unless my dog is chasing them or when i tried to pick them up).

the neighbors' dogs made way more noise than my chickens

I don't know much about breed.. :/ but the white and black ones are not so easy to pick up. It's probably in their DNA ? not too trusting of humans
hmm.png

Last edited:
Your first? Just babies still....wait til they start laying.
wink.png

yes.. this is my first time raising chickens. My family brought them home on 4/3/2016. After 1 week or so, I learned a lot of things that i didn't know back then.

I heard of them being loud after laying an egg.. but we have to see .. since i live in the city with neighbors only 30-40 ft away + their dogs

not to mention the wild birds and crows on the neighbors' trees can be pretty loud already since i can still hear them with the doors and windows closed.

i wonder.. what's the noise level of a chickens after laying an egg in decibel ?

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

yes.. this is my first time raising chickens. My family brought them home on 4/3/2016. After 1 week or so, I learned a lot of things that i didn't know back then. I heard of them being loud after laying an egg.. but we have to see .. since i live in the city with neighbors only 30-40 ft away + their dogs not to mention the wild birds and crows on the neighbors' trees can be pretty loud already since i can still hear them with the doors and windows closed. i wonder.. what's the noise level of a chickens after laying an egg in decibel ? http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
I know this will sound rude, but... I couldn't care less about noise. I'm surrounded by neighbors with dogs who bark at all hours. Cats that use my garden as a litter box. And a rabbit who raises H E double hockey sticks on my veggies. No amount of talking does any good with these folks. So if I got crazy ***** LOUD birds, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom