making my own killing cone

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AHappychick, Dec 24, 2008.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I cant believe how expensive these killing cones are! I would like to make my own do anyone have any suggestions? I figured aluminum would be the easiest to work with but thought I should see if anyone makes there own and how they do it.

2. Some one on here has posted a plan to make these ? I know they are selling the final product, just saw it a few days ago.

3. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Oh thank you I will look for it

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I used large kitty litter containers. Cut out the bottom and pulled the head through the spout. Not real classy but it sure worked good. I put holes on each side and attached them to the tree with wire so they could bleed out after culling.

5. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
  6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Quote:Did you use these just for turkeys or can you use them for chickens as well? Seems like a really good idea to me.
    Becky

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Did you use these just for turkeys or can you use them for chickens as well? Seems like a really good idea to me.
    Becky

i agree please tell me more [​IMG]

8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Becky

i agree please tell me more [​IMG]

I only used them for meat chickens. Economy size soap bottles or big bleach bottles would work too..........just cut the bottoms off and cut the spout as wide as you need it, attach wire or rope and hang it on a tree........pull the head down and make the cut. They stay contained nicely and are all set to bleed out.

I did two or three at a time and let them bleed out while I scalded and plucked. Kind of like assembly line I suppose.

Mary

9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
  10. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I recall someone on BYC using a orange traffic cone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by