Making your own feed

pheasantfrenzie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Montrose,Co
Hi Guys,
Well as everyone knows the price on feed keeps rising so I asking if anybody makes their own feed and if so how do you do it.
I would like to keep the 28% protein tho.
Any info Please

I mix corn, wheat, peas, oats, and occasionally a few other things and add it to the regular pheasant food. 1/3 grains 2/3 regular food. I've seen a guy who feed some of his pheasants only a similar mix of grains and does fine. But by my math, with a 20ish% pheasant food the grains lower the protein some.

Last edited:
Thank You PheasantFirst
How do you crush your food and what types of oats I want to keep the protein up because I have found it helps them threw our winters. I am trying to make my own feed because of the Chicks I am selling and I want to them to continue to be healthy and don't want a huge change from what I am feeding them now.

there's a lot on information on feed forulation available. You need to know the nutrient requirements and set nutrient levels, such as amino acid levels you want, the minimum levels of other nutrients, and the cost of foodstuffs available and ia computer program will tell the amounts of each you need for your diet....I would guess it will not save you any money because you cannot buy in bulk like the feed companies, but you can try.

Thank You PheasantFirst
How do you crush your food and what types of oats I want to keep the protein up because I have found it helps them threw our winters. I am trying to make my own feed because of the Chicks I am selling and I want to them to continue to be healthy and don't want a huge change from what I am feeding them now.
Because I only feed this to the adults, I don't crush it. I use steam rolled oats, but the pheasant leave a fair amount of husks behind.

Back
Top Bottom