Malay thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RobbysRoost, Feb 22, 2012.

1. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    lol, I was concentrating on the type so much that I didn't even look at that muff! I'd say there was American in him somewhere down the road.

2. TomNY

TomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Some of the Burmese imported just before the bird flu scare were muffed. Tom

3. NaefNaests

NaefNaests Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    Sorry but what is a "muff" in gamefowl terms?
    Also I was given this one along with the first one. What is this one as well. He is slightly smaller and skinnier, and moulting.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Muff-Beard

5. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Yeah, I have GaCua that are Muffed, but what are the chances of someone picking some up? slim to none

6. NaefNaests

NaefNaests Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2013
    What? Is that a good thing or bad thing? What about the second rooster I posted? I asked the guy to give me a young stag that would get really big. A weak went by and the two previous birds I posted are what he gave me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  7. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    Talking about muffed brings up a question that maybe Saladin can answer. The Russian Orloff looks to have a lot in common with the Malay and it is also muffed? How did that come about?

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I'm on my phone so the picture is small, but I think I see saddle feathers, so I say rooster.

9. saladin

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The Orloff certainly is malayoid.

Muffs appear on many different breeds of Orientals; so that would not be hard to put there. As a matter of fact, I have a very old book (can't lay my hands on it right now) that states something like this:

'Before the introduction of Orientals (read that Asil) into the English world there were no muffs or tassels on any Games.' Thus, those two things that some Game strains are famous for is claimed to actually be an Oriental trait and not a Game or Bankivoid trait.

10. Penny Hen

Penny Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Goodlettsville, TN
    So the Oriental blood spread two directions: East through Polynesian routes and West through the Silk Road?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by