Malay thread

Pics
Mcrooke,
In your last picture, is this how you winter wrapped the cage? I like that, blocking the nasty wind and heavy rain.

Mcrooke,
In your last picture, is this how you winter wrapped the cage? I like that, blocking the nasty wind and heavy rain.

I do 3/4 of the pen that way. The south side I leave open except when it gets really cold then I cover it up those cold days then open it back up when it warms up.

I have culled out all the ones I did the past year. I have got one upcoming that I am going to do with one of my extra Malay stags as soon as the pullets get a little bigger. It will be a few generations on this project before my goals are reached. I will post pictures of it as it evolves.
What do you do with the culls? I heard Malay have pretty tough meat.

how old do wheaton malay chicks have to be to be able to tell if it's a stag or pullet?

You can normally tell when they are 4 to 5 weeks old. Males will have more black in their wings and start showing it in their breast feathers. Females will be more tan colored in their wings and breast feathers.

How heavy and tall are your guys' biggest Malays? I am seemingly interested in the breed at this point and may decide to get some in the near future.

My tallest one right now is 31" and it is not even a year old yet. My cock bird is 29"tall, 12lbs+. He is a heavy bird. I am guessing at the weight. I don't have a good way of weighing him.

Back
Top Bottom