Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nupine, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    I am going back and forth on what breed to specialize in for when we build a large coop in the spring. My mom hates them, but I think Malays are interesting. Does anyone have them? I have some questions. Are they aggressive? Do the hens lay well? How many eggsdo you get per hen? Are they broody? Are they cold-heat tolerent? Are they used for fighting? How much space do they need? And any other info you have.
  2. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Hey Nupine
    i basicaly asked the same questions as you did last week and got no reply Hopefully the malay owners are loged on this time all i know is this
    They are raised mostly for meat Though i have seen them at the shows They are the tallest of chicken breeds at 3 feet tall as well come in bantam
    are slow to mature and dont do well in close confinement
    note all the info im telling is from a book that i feel is not 100% acurate [​IMG]
  3. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    I don't have Malays, but here is a web site about them. I don't know if you've already looked here or not but here is the web site:

to the website, Malays are mean. But if you spend a lot of time with them and socialize them, maybe you could get some pretty decent birds. Of course, I have never owned a Malay so I wouldn't know, but that is just my guess. Good Luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by