malays

Here's some 2 month old malay. Just have to see how they grow out.

I'm really surprised this one grew any feathers back on his head. He was always picking a fight and seemed to loose every time.

I have all sorts of poultry books, most say they can get 3ft tall, are noisy and aggressive, yet okay with handling and sometimes fight other chicks strait after hatching in the less domestic varieties. BUT go to a breeder who breeds for pet quality, for a good temperament and you could get some very nice birds. Here's a link to the BYC breed page on them: LINK Good Luck & Glad to Help (/img/smilies/yippiechickie.gif) well actually it's late so I'm feeling more like this: /img/smilies/caf.gif
Thanks Saladin. I'm sorry but my jaw fell open reading the description of Malays as aggressive, and one needing a pet-quality Malay. I'm sorry but they're just not a bird for beginners, yet, they're a seriously friendly, loyal, intelligent breed.
Quote:
sorry but i disagree with the 1st things you said aout malay not being aggresive the malays in aus can be very 'real deal' these guys can be absalout mongrels to other birds....
If a Malay isn't 'Game', then that should be a fault, and even a disqualification. It's a game breed, and even in Australia used in Naked Heel fights. They're known for endurance and heavy hitting when in the pit. People use the word 'aggressive' and 'game' incorrectly. They are different things. I breed Aseels, Malay, Shamo, Americans, OEG, Australian Pit Game and have some experience with Australian Game. Gamefowl are not aggressive to humans. Birds that were aggressive to humans were killed. Imagine having a bird ready for battle, with the steel on his legs, turning on the owner... My friend's 6 year old daughter can come to our pens and pick up any and all of the Gamefowl we have. The Malay and Aseels will even follow her around. Historically, Gamefowl have had more 'hands-on' due to their fighting heritage. By en-large, how often do layers get handled? Aggression has relatively been bred out of a lot of Gamefowl breeds, while Gameness has been bred in. Gameness is what makes all of the roosters hate each other. My friend's American got into a Malay pen, and the American lost one eye, had his top beak ripped off, broke a wing and one toe was hanging on by some skin. If Malay Game don't show 'Gameness' then they are really not true to their breed. Sorry if that offends anyone. PS - I would recommend Malay to a beginner, as they can be very friendly to humans, look interesting, and have a great history to study. In my experience, with the same amount of handling, they will become more friendly than some Silkies.
How tall are they at 12 months
I have one that is 10 months old at 70cm.
This is one of mine. His tail is too high. I am also confident that his back will become more roached as he ages, as others have done in the past. I also wouldn't mind seeing his spurs slightly more behind on the leg.

Got 8 Malay-Tuzo cross about 6 weeks old. Pick up in East Tn near Bristol Motor Speedway. No pure tuzo or Malay at this time. $50 for all or will trade on laying hens. .

Back
Top Bottom