~MALAYSIAN SERAMA THREAD~ (PICS!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that too but mine is outside right now happy as a lark and it is probably 40 out. Their coop isn't heated but is insulated. She is a larger Serama - probably "C" size so maybe that is the difference. She is nearly as big as my D'Uccles.
I have been keeping an eye on her as far as the cold goes, since I know they aren't supposed to handle it well.

It gets pretty cold with the windchills can get as low as -60, I keep 11 chickens outside all bantams with just a 250 watt heat lamp in the coop, coop is only 4 by 6. There is no way a serama can survive that. Other states don't get as cold so i suppose it would depend on where you live and how your winters are but for the money i have paid for mine and the money for feed ect i have put into them i won't take a chance on them freezing. There is somewhat of a demand for them here, i only know of 3 people in MN who have them, me being one. I really enjoy the temperment of this breed, very sweet and tame so far.

Last edited:
I still havent got any good pictures yet. I want to get some more Seramas though, so keep me in mind Rachel. Those pictures are precious. I love the one where the two chicks are with the mom.

I had mine in New Hampshire with -20 temps and they did get frost bite in the combs, but that was it. They went out in the snow and everything. I kept them in the house when I first got them, but it was too hard, so out they went. I never lost one to the cold.
My little flock I have now are also out all the time and it is not as cold here in WA but it will still snow and freeze. Mine don't seem to mind much. Goldie and Baby Sarge are 7 years old now and they lived 5 of those years in New Hampshire. They think they are in Hawii now!!
big_smile.png

SIZE CLASSES:

1) MATURE CATEGORY:

Cocks
A - up to 13 oz (350 gm)
B - up to 16 oz (500 gm)
C - up to 19 oz (600 gm)

Hens
A - up to 11 oz (325 gm)
B - up to 14 oz (425 gm)
C - up to 17 ounces (525 gm)

I have never had a 'C' and have only kept a few 'B' but currently have only 'A' and it looks like all their babies are also 'A' as well. Sometimes an 'A' pair can give you a 'C' baby!!

My Dutch require some heat in the cold. I've already started using a heat lamp at night since we've been hitting high 30's here. With the Seramas, I'd be tempted to keep them in the house...especially if they were tiny, like A's...
big_smile.png

L&Schickens :

SIZE CLASSES:

1) MATURE CATEGORY:

Cocks
A - up to 13 oz (350 gm)
B - up to 16 oz (500 gm)
C - up to 19 oz (600 gm)

Hens
A - up to 11 oz (325 gm)
B - up to 14 oz (425 gm)
C - up to 17 ounces (525 gm)

I have never had a 'C' and have only kept a few 'B' but currently have only 'A' and it looks like all their babies are also 'A' as well. Sometimes an 'A' pair can give you a 'C' baby!!

Wow! Those A's are TINY! I would have to keep them in the house for sure! Do you sell hatching eggs? Or sell/ship started birds?​

Quote:
Absolutely, i plan on raising them until they are a few months old, I do have a roo who needs a new home, its whitey, he is not getting along with bernie too well anymore since both the hens went broody. They are growing up soooo fast i can't believe it

Quote:
Wow! Those A's are TINY! I would have to keep them in the house for sure! Do you sell hatching eggs? Or sell/ship started birds?

Once my girls get done brooding chicks i will probably sell some eggs
big_smile.png
Altho they dont lay every day they seem to lay an egg every other day. I'm scared to ship these little ones live. Dutch, check eggbid.com for hatching eggs, they are pretty reasonable price wise and i have had great success hatching them so far. The seller did an excellent job on packing them and not one scrambled or broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom