Male and female Phoenix?

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
I have argued with my mother on the gender of this bird for almost a year now, I believe. More than 6 months at least.

She always thought it was a male and I kept insisting it was a female. Then she asked if it was a hermaphrodite.

Now, I finally caught her and was looming at her and I'm wondering if she was onto something.

The bird in question doesn't have a recognised color that I'm aware of. I've been told it's considered a ginger, but I don't see any that look like her when I look it up.

She is a pure Phoenix. Not a mutt, I promise. I know who her mother is and who her father is and they both came from a breeder (can't remember who though) before I got them.

I don't know if she's laying, I know her sister is though. She has a comb almost the size of her brother's and some pointed saddle and hackle feathers. But move over a feather or two in the same area and they're round like a female. She sounds female though and is closer to her sisters size than her brother's bodywise.

Honestly I never thought I would ever be asking something like this, but now me and mom are back to arguing what she is 😅

20210515_172417.jpg
20210515_172356.jpg
20210515_172351.jpg
20210515_172341.jpg

I have argued with my mother on the gender of this bird for almost a year now, I believe. More than 6 months at least.

She always thought it was a male and I kept insisting it was a female. Then she asked if it was a hermaphrodite.

Now, I finally caught her and was looming at her and I'm wondering if she was onto something.

The bird in question doesn't have a recognised color that I'm aware of. I've been told it's considered a ginger, but I don't see any that look like her when I look it up.

She is a pure Phoenix. Not a mutt, I promise. I know who her mother is and who her father is and they both came from a breeder (can't remember who though) before I got them.

I don't know if she's laying, I know her sister is though. She has a comb almost the size of her brother's and some pointed saddle and hackle feathers. But move over a feather or two in the same area and they're round like a female. She sounds female though and is closer to her sisters size than her brother's bodywise.

Honestly I never thought I would ever be asking something like this, but now me and mom are back to arguing what she is 😅

View attachment 2671341View attachment 2671342View attachment 2671343View attachment 2671344
Cockerel for sure.

Back
Top Bottom