Male being very aggressive towards hen...what to do?

MoChkRch

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance...I have 2 questions...
1st question is how many times does a Male have to mate with the Hen for the eggs to be fertile? One of my hens has started laying (2 eggs so far) is that enough or does she need to be mated more than once?
2nd question...Male is being very aggressive with the Hen...to the point where I noticed her limping today....she doesn't look her self, still walking but not right? Could this be from the Male being overly aggressive with her?....Is it possible to move her with her 2 eggs away from the Male into another section? and that she would sit on them?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance...I have 2 questions...
1st question is how many times does a Male have to mate with the Hen for the eggs to be fertile? One of my hens has started laying (2 eggs so far) is that enough or does she need to be mated more than once?
2nd question...Male is being very aggressive with the Hen...to the point where I noticed her limping today....she doesn't look her self, still walking but not right? Could this be from the Male being overly aggressive with her?....Is it possible to move her with her 2 eggs away from the Male into another section? and that she would sit on them?
If the male is causing harm then you can try removing him for a while. She needs a stress free environment to heal.

How many times I can't answer, however, a hen can hold sperm if well-bred for four weeks. Of course, it will depend on several factors. You need to put a pallet or some such obstacle in the pen for the hen to hide behind. Aggression against hens is usually caused by young cocks that are frustrated they can not run off an adjacent cock in the next pen over or outside their pen. This is one reason for sight barriers between pens.

Separate the male for a while. How many males and females do you have together?
Just have the Male Pied and White Hen together...but since posting this...I have separated the Hen to another pen....Thank you for your reply

How many times I can't answer, however, a hen can hold sperm if well-bred for four weeks. Of course, it will depend on several factors. You need to put a pallet or some such obstacle in the pen for the hen to hide behind. Aggression against hens is usually caused by young cocks that are frustrated they can not run off an adjacent cock in the next pen over or outside their pen. This is one reason for sight barriers between pens.
Thank you for your reply....since posting this I have moved the hen to a separate pen to let her heal

Just have the Male Pied and White Hen together...but since posting this...I have separated the Hen to another pen....Thank you for your reply
You may need a few more females. Sometimes one on one dynamics work, but often times they don’t. Sorry about your hen!!

Thank you for your reply....since posting this I have moved the hen to a separate pen to let her heal

You may need a few more females. Sometimes one on one dynamics work, but often times they don’t. Sorry about your hen!!
:goodpost: i agree. There have been plenty of cases with roos over mating the hen, or hens when their aren't enough hens in the flock, or to many roos.

Back
Top Bottom