male button quail

viafina

Hatching
Oct 14, 2017
Hi community, I've been frequenting this website ever since my first pet quail experience, but finally made an account to address a troubling matter. Thank you in advance.

My 2.5 year old male button quail has been on a downward spiral for a couple days. Currently he is lethargic, puffed feathers, and disinterested in food or water.

Upon inspection and after a lot of research, I've determined he has a vent prolapse. He passed a normal stool while I was holding him. The prolapsed tissue appears to be his male cloaca organs. I followed a procedure found online for cleaning and using honey to gently push the tissue back into place. He's currently bundled up in my hoodie pocket in an attempt to restore his noticeably depleted body temperature.

Any suggestions on how I can further help him, if at all? Thanks,

Do you have a heat lamp you could put him under? Otherwise, keep him somewhere warm and draft free with food and water very close by. Quail are tough little birds so I hope he recovers for you! I've had a boy horribly scalped and I thought there was no hope for him. I kept him on his own while he healed and he recovered completely. :hugs

Thank you for your reply, sadly he did end up passing away. Never going to be sure what the cause was.

Back
Top Bottom