Male ducks being aggressive.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adroit14, Jun 3, 2016.

1. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I have 2 males in my flock. One pekin, one mallard. They are all having sexual intercourse with my rouen duck. The feathers on her neck have been pulled out from the biting, and she has a scab on her neck, too. I am worried that it could get infected. Any tips. Thanks

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You need to separate her from the males, that will be the first step. She needs time to heal and the drakes repeatedly mating with her will not allow for that. For treatment, you can apply some neosporin without pain relief to prevent infection.

Do you have other female ducks? From the sounds of your post you have two males and one female, and that's not going to work out, as you have seen. You will either need to rehome one male and try keeping a pair, although even that may not work, or get more females, or both. You should have three female ducks for every drake.

3. adroit14

adroit14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I have 3 other females. The werid thing is, they dont even touch them.

4. morti

morti New Egg

Jul 10, 2016
    I am having this same problem. I have 3 male rouen drakes and 2 rouen hens and 3 pekins hens and 2 of my drakes are ganging up on one of my pekin hens, He just started doing this. Will he continue to do this once mating season is done? I have just separated them to give her time to heal. Just need to know if I need to keep them separated or if they will calm back down.

5. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    okay... You both need to cull some males (get rid of, or kill) or get more females. Now. Too many males will harm EVERYONE and sometimes turns a male aggressive.
    The proper ratios are:
    Light class- 1 drake for 5-6 hens
    Medium- 1 drake for 4-5 hens
    Heavy- 1 drake for 3-5 hens (more active breeds need more hens- exhibition Rouens and Aylesburies are fine with 1 drake to 3 hens)

Drakes also sometimes have their favorites. Some hens don't want to be mated at certain times. Sometimes drakes will rape one another. Because if this, you need the proper ratio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by