Male or Female Barred Rock

sunnyseagrl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 1, 2012
Roseburg, Oregon
Hey all!

We're crossing our fingers this is a female, and it may be too early to tell (she's 11 days old), but here's some pictures:
A close up of her face:

I know this one is blurry but I was showing her feet:

A pic of her coloring/barring:

Another pic of her coloring/barring:

Let me know what you think!!

Female.

Based on the dark leg clor and darker body coloring and the solid dot on the head.

Purebred barred rocks are sex linked from birth.

Dark legs generally means female, lighter legs male. Solid head spot generally female, splotchy head spot generally male.

However, sometimes it doesn't apply.

Thank you all!!

I didn't know how to tell the difference between the two, so this was very helpful =D I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that she turns out to be a pullet!

those legs are not as dark as i have seen on any pullet chick they are fairly light with almost no dark wash down the front of the legs that i can see from these pics

I'd also say female, you have a hen. She's small and my barred rock chicks (hens) also look like that.
thumbsup.gif

Pullet, I have two and one had much more dark washing on legs than the other. One was about same amount as yours. Of course at 14 weeks you will be more certain. If male it will be more white than black and have good sized comb and wattles. Female will have more darker barring and just start developing little comb and wattles and they will still be pink.

Back
Top Bottom