Male or Female Questions to new Peking owner

juliebethcat

Hatching
May 24, 2016
Hi,
I have a male Peking Duck who just lost his best girl duck to a Fox attack other day. I called a friend who has many farm animals he sales and bought a new female from him. At least I think that's what it is. It's tail feathers were bitten off I guess by other ducks in its previous cage. My ducks are spoiled here and this new duck will have the good life compared to old life.
My question is-I'm not sure that this new duck is a full breed Peking duck.Nor am I sure she is female. She certainly honks a lot. Without the tail feathers it is hard for me to tell. She also stands on hind legs, stretches upward and flaps her wings while in water. I thought only males did this. She is only a few months old previous owner said but she honks way more than my other female did and is much smaller than my other female.
I'm just not sure. Is there any other ways to tell? Yes she honks a lot but what if she is mixed with a breed who honks both male and female? Maybe that's not even possible. I'm new to ducks obviously. I have been around way more Chickens than Ducks and I'm a bit lost so please forgive me. Just wanted some expert advise on how to tell what I have here. Thank you, Julie :)

If it quacks like a duck, it's a duck. If she's only a few months old I wouldn't be worried about her being smaller than your previous duck.

Your male has a raspy, frog like voice right?

I've never known standing in the water and flapping to be a gender specific behavior.

yes, I know the male is a male and his voice is raspy and he never "honks" like the new duck. I'm sure in time I will figure this out of course. I just am curious to know. Regardless, my male is happy to have another duck friend either way. He has been through trauma now and is hiding but stays next to the new duck. So all will work out either way. :)

Honking = duck. I don't think you need to wait unless what your new duck is doing is peeping and not honking/quacking. But, since you said "honking" I'm going to assume there's no confusion that it's a girl.

Not to ask a dumb question, but did you get a goose? Geese honk.
You already have a male duck, so you know the sound of a male duck. The female will quack. The quack of a duck and the honk of a goose are very different.

If you can post a pic, we might be able to help identify the breed or breeds if she's mixed.

hahaha That's funny :) She is a duck for sure and since I got her home and she swam for first time ever and had a bath she actually looks much better and more like a Peking. Where I got her had her in a pen with other ducks and was never exposed to swimming :( Needless to say, she loves the water! Duh. I will try and post a pic tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom