Male or Female

FunChick4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2017
South-Central PA
Can anyone out there give their opinion on if the 7 week old Buff Orpington is a Male or Female please.

Looks female. Small fleshy colored comb and nice delicate legs.

That said, some Orpington boys can be very slow to announce themselves. I'm not seeing anything male but I'd feel a lot more confident calling Pullet for sure in another month or so.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It's true Orps can mature slowly.

Does only one have those red waddles? They are pretty small still as is the comb. But wow that's a lot of red... but I could only see it in the waddles and not in the comb.

So currently I would venture a guess and say female but possibly late blooming male.

Yes only that one has really red waddles, it is also a bit more skittish and makes a bit of a different chirp sound. That is why I was concerned. I have a SLW in question as well. Kinda sad if they do end up roosters because I am not allowed to have them where I live. Got 6 new chicks this year because my old flock all died off due to age and wanted to start a new one. Hope I don't end up with only 4 hens.
1f61e.png

Yes only that one has really red waddles, it is also a bit more skittish and makes a bit of a different chirp sound. That is why I was concerned. I have a SLW in question as well. Kinda sad if they do end up roosters because I am not allowed to have them where I live. Got 6 new chicks this year because my old flock all died off due to age and wanted to start a new one. Hope I don't end up with only 4 hens.
1f61e.png
Lets see the SLW

Might be to young yet, not quite 6 weeks yet.
Here is Moana...

[/URL]
See that white on top of the wings? Can you tell if that still has the nice black lacing or if it looks like the white is a little blended together? Nice and clearly laced is female. Blotchy on the top of the wing is male. This one would be in question to me as well. The waddles are still small but seem red. When I blow it up a little the comb still looks flesh colored while the face looks red... maybe still developing.

Now my perspective on that wing isn't very good... but it's looking like it might be mottled. Leaning towards boy... flock interactions can often confirm gender suspicions. Maybe a better wing view?

Back
Top Bottom